Melting Ice Cube: Time Needed for 3-Ton Ice Cube with Golden Bars

• Thread starter baky0905
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Ice
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the time it takes for a large ice cube with two golden bars inside to melt. The ice cube has dimensions of 1.5x1.5x1.5m and a mass of 3 tons, and the average temperature of the month is 6.2 ˙C. The person asking for help is willing to show their work in the future, but needs quick assistance due to upcoming exams.
baky0905
Help...melting ice cube.

Homework Statement

How much time is needed for an ice cube ((1.5x1.5x1.5)m, 3tons of mass with two golden bars within an ice cube to melt. Average temerature of the month is 6.2 ˙C

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. Please note that you must show some work before we can help you with homework problems. So, what have you done thus far?

I would gladly show some work in the near future, but I need some help fast, as soon as possible. Sorry if I trouble you.
Thanks for every help I receive!
I will return the help when my exam month passes.

Related to Melting Ice Cube: Time Needed for 3-Ton Ice Cube with Golden Bars

1. How do you melt an ice cube faster?

There are a few ways to melt an ice cube faster. One method is to use heat, such as placing the ice cube in a warm environment or running it under hot water. Another method is to use salt, as it lowers the freezing point of water and can speed up the melting process.

2. Why does ice melt when exposed to heat?

Ice is made of water molecules that are held together in a solid structure by hydrogen bonds. When heat is added, it increases the energy of the molecules, causing them to vibrate and break the bonds, resulting in a change from solid to liquid state.

3. What is the melting point of ice?

The melting point of ice is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This is when ice begins to change from a solid to a liquid state.

4. Can you reverse the melting process and turn liquid water back into ice?

Yes, it is possible to reverse the melting process and turn liquid water back into ice. This can be done by lowering the temperature of the water below its freezing point, causing the water molecules to form bonds and turn back into a solid state.

5. How does the density of water change when it melts into ice?

The density of water decreases when it freezes into ice. This is because water molecules in a solid state are less tightly packed than in a liquid state, resulting in a larger volume for the same mass of water.