Melting/freezing point depression of water vs. other liquids

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Gibbs-Thomson equation for freezing/melting point depression in confined liquids, specifically water. The speaker is confused about why water, which expands when frozen, also has its freezing point reduced in pores. They explore the Young-Laplace equation and the Clausius-Clapeyron relation to explain this phenomenon and ultimately conclude that the discrepancy is due to the assumption of no volume change in the Gibbs-Thomson equation.
sir_manning
Hey

I'm trying to derive the Gibbs-Thomson equation for the freezing/melting point depression of liquids inside a confined space, such as a cylindrical pore. This has been observed for many liquids, such as water, benzene, heptane, etc. Basically my question is, why does water, which expands in volume when frozen, also has its freezing point reduced in pores?

Here's a more detailed account of my confusion. The Young-Laplace equation for the pressure drop [itex]ΔP[/itex] across a hemispherical interface with radius [itex]r[/itex] reads
[itex]\Delta P = \frac{2 \gamma}{r}[/itex],
with [itex]\gamma[/itex] as the surface tension of the interface. For a liquid meniscus, this is the surface tension of the liquid-vapour interface, but for an ice-water interface, this is the surface tension of the solid-liquid interface.

So far so good. Now, to get the Gibbs-Thomson equation, the 'ol Clausius-Clapeyron relation is whipped out:
[itex]\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} \approx \frac{dP}{dT} = \frac{L_T}{\Delta V}\frac{1}{T}[/itex],
with [itex]L_T[/itex] as the total latent heat of transformation. For a phase transition from ice to water, [itex]\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T}[/itex] is negative because [itex]\Delta V[/itex] is negative, unlike most liquids where [itex]\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T}[/itex] is positive.

Anyway, to get the Gibbs-Thomson equation, this is plugged into the Young-Lapace equation above for [itex]\Delta P[/itex], giving
[itex]T(r=\infty) - T(r) = \Delta T = \frac{2 \gamma \Delta V T}{L_T r}[/itex].

So since [itex]\Delta V[/itex] is negative for water, why isn't [itex]\Delta T[/itex] negative as well, causing confined water to melt at a temperature higher than 0 degrees? I'm guessing that [itex]\gamma[/itex] is negative, which in this case is the surface tension of the ice-water interface, where for other liquids in contact with their frozen phase, it's positive. This would cancel out the negative from the [itex]\Delta V[/itex].

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I know where I've gone wrong, just in case someone comes across this post in the future.

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation only applies in the case of a flat boundary between two phases. In the macroscopic world, the discrepancy is so small it can be ignored. However, when deriving the Gibbs-Thomson equation with the corrected version of the CC equation, there is assumed to be no volume change, so [itex]\Delta V \rightarrow V[/itex]. This paper was pretty useful.

Related to Melting/freezing point depression of water vs. other liquids

1. What is the melting/freezing point of water?

The melting/freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How does the melting/freezing point of water compare to other liquids?

The melting/freezing point of water is higher than most other liquids, meaning it requires a lower temperature for water to freeze and a higher temperature for it to melt.

3. What causes the melting/freezing point depression of water?

The melting/freezing point depression of water is caused by the presence of impurities, such as salt or other substances, which disrupt the regular structure of water molecules and make it more difficult for them to form solid crystals.

4. How does the melting/freezing point depression of water impact the environment?

The melting/freezing point depression of water can impact the environment by affecting the freezing and melting patterns of bodies of water, which can have consequences for aquatic life and weather patterns.

5. Can the melting/freezing point depression of water be reversed?

Yes, the melting/freezing point depression of water can be reversed by removing the impurities through processes such as distillation or filtration, which restores the normal melting/freezing point of water.