Mel Gibson film about Judah Maccabee.

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary, Mel Gibson, a Roman Catholic, is making a movie about the Maccabean revolt around 150 BC. The Maccabees, a band of brothers, fought to liberate Judea from its Selucid masters and won, instituting the Hasmonean Dynasty. The books of Maccabees 1 and 2 are found in the Roman Catholic Bible, while Maccabees 3 and 4 are in the Greek Catholic Bible, but none are found in the Jewish and Protestant Bibles. The holiday of Hannukah celebrates the rededication of the Temple at that time. Gibson's past controversies and attempt to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community through this movie have sparked mixed reactions.
Jimmy Snyder
Apparently Mel Gibson is making a movie about the Maccabean revolt around 150 BC. Mel is a Roman Catholic and two books of their Bible are Maccabees 1 and 2. There is a 3 and 4 in the Greek Catholic Bible. None of the books are found in the Jewish and Protestant Bibles, but used to be. The Maccabees were a band of brothers who fought to liberate Judea from its Selucid masters. They won and so instituted the Hasmonean Dynasty, particularly bad rulers. In the process they cleansed the Temple of Greek idols and religious practices. The holiday of Hannukah celebrates the rededication of the Temple at that time.

I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back. It might work too. It depends on how much Selucid blood he can splatter on the screen. I've done a back of the napkin estimate of 100 forgiving Jews per fluid ounce of blood.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-10/mel-gibson-working-on-jewish-warrior-film/2879640"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
Apparently Mel Gibson is making a movie about the Maccabean revolt around 150 BC. Mel is a Roman Catholic and two books of their Bible are Maccabees 1 and 2. There is a 3 and 4 in the Greek Catholic Bible. None of the books are found in the Jewish and Protestant Bibles, but used to be. The Maccabees were a band of brothers who fought to liberate Judea from its Selucid masters. They won and so instituted the Hasmonean Dynasty, particularly bad rulers. In the process they cleansed the Temple of Greek idols and religious practices. The holiday of Hannukah celebrates the rededication of the Temple at that time.

I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back. It might work too. It depends on how much Selucid blood he can splatter on the screen. I've done a back of the napkin estimate of 100 forgiving Jews per fluid ounce of blood.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-10/mel-gibson-working-on-jewish-warrior-film/2879640"
LOL. Not to mention he needs money and he's burned his hard core Christian bridges with the DUI, adultery, child out of wedlock... looks like he's hoping Jewish people are more forgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some Jewish leaders who are extremely unhappy about this, according to the articles I've seen.

I'm kind of conflicted about it. I'm not Jewish, but still I wonder if Gibson is the right man for the job. On the other hand, I really would like to see a movie about the Maccabees, and who else in Hollywood but Gibson wants to make this movie AND has enough clout to get it made?

Where's Spielberg when you need him?

Jimmy Snyder said:
I suppose he intends to ingratiate himself to the Jewish community that he insulted during an arrest for drunk driving a few years back.
I doubt it. I bet he merely envisions it as Braveheart in the Desert.

zoobyshoe said:
I doubt it. I bet he merely envisions it as Braveheart in the Desert.
:tongue2:

1. Who is Judah Maccabee?

Judah Maccabee was a Jewish military leader who led a rebellion against the Seleucid Empire in the 2nd century BCE. He is known for his bravery and leadership in the Maccabean Revolt, which resulted in the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem and the celebration of Hanukkah.

2. What is the title of the Mel Gibson film about Judah Maccabee?

The film is currently titled "Rothchild," but it was originally announced as "The Maccabees" and was intended to be a historical epic about Judah Maccabee and the Maccabean Revolt.

3. When was the Mel Gibson film about Judah Maccabee announced?

The film was first announced in September 2011, but it has faced multiple delays and controversies since then. As of 2021, it is still in development and has not yet been released.

4. Will the Mel Gibson film about Judah Maccabee be historically accurate?

It is unclear how historically accurate the film will be, as it has faced criticism for potential inaccuracies and bias. However, the filmmakers have stated that they are working with scholars and consultants to ensure the film is as accurate as possible.

5. Who will play Judah Maccabee in the Mel Gibson film?

As of 2021, no casting decisions have been announced for the film. However, Mel Gibson has expressed interest in casting himself in the role, although this has also faced criticism and controversy.

Back