Medical Physics Salaries: Dispelling the Myth of High Starting Pay in Minnesota

In summary, the conversation discusses the salary potential for a medical physicist based on a friend's experience. While the friend claims to have a starting salary of $150K with potential to increase to $200K after obtaining certifications, data from AAPM suggests that this is above the 90th percentile for someone with less than four years of experience. It is also noted that becoming a medical physicist typically involves a PhD and a competitive job market.
nqr45
Question for all you physics experts:

A friend of mine recently decided to pursue medical physics as a career because she heard from some guy who is a medical physicist that he made $150K 2 years after getting his PhD (he is now 30). He did a couple of clinical internships in those two years, and he is now based in Mayo Clinic. He also mentioned he was getting some certificates, which would increase his salary to $200K within the next year.

Does this sound reasonable? I tried looking on Glassdoor and Payscale and I'm getting that he can't be making more than $110K, being relatively fresh out of grad school...unless MN salaries are all inflated. I realize that there might be more factors but I know nothing about physics or careers in it.

Thoughts? Does this sound normal? I'm telling her to NOT base her decision off that one person, because I cannot imagine such a high salary for someone starting out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think 150k starting is outrageous, and I doubt glassdoor is a good source of salary information for that area.

The most important thing your friend needs to do is to understand how difficult it is to end up in those jobs in the first place.

While medical physics is generally a well-paying branch of physics, both of those figures, for a person with less than four years of experience (without and with board certification), would put that person above the 90th percentile of reported earning in both cases accourding to data from the AAPM

Therefore that single data point would be somewhat misleading.

Realistically speaking becoming a medical physicsist involves a doing a PhD. There you get paid about as much as any other graduate student in physics would - sometimes less in fact as not all medical physics programs guarantee a TA. You can get into the field with an MSc, but the market is very competative right now, so I would advise any student considering the field to assume long haul toward a PhD. Following that, you would work as a resident for ~ 2 years and there you earn a salary consistent with that of most other post-docs in physics (maybe a little higher). Once you have your certification, you can generally start earning the larger pay cheques, but again, the field is competative.

Related to Medical Physics Salaries: Dispelling the Myth of High Starting Pay in Minnesota

1. What is the average salary for a medical physicist?

The average salary for a medical physicist varies depending on experience, location, and job title. However, according to the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, the average salary for a clinical medical physicist is around $159,000 per year.

2. What factors can affect a medical physicist's salary?

Factors that can affect a medical physicist's salary include their level of education, years of experience, job title and responsibilities, geographic location, and employer type (e.g. hospital, research facility, government agency).

3. Is there a high demand for medical physicists?

Yes, there is a high demand for medical physicists due to the increasing use of technology in healthcare and the growing aging population. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for medical physicists is projected to grow 15% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

4. Do medical physicists receive benefits in addition to their salary?

Yes, medical physicists typically receive benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, and professional development opportunities. These benefits may vary depending on the employer and job title.

5. Are there opportunities for salary growth in the field of medical physics?

Yes, there are opportunities for salary growth in the field of medical physics. With advanced education, experience, and specialized skills, medical physicists can advance to higher job titles and earn higher salaries. Additionally, as technology continues to advance in the healthcare field, the demand for medical physicists is expected to increase, leading to potential salary growth.