Mechatronics; Programming Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant.

In summary, your programming attempt shows a good understanding of the control units involved in the Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant. However, it could benefit from defining variables and handling errors or exceptions. It is also recommended to use consistent and appropriate spacing in your code. Good luck with your project!
Sogeking

Homework Statement

Essentially, I need to program four control units of the Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant. These are; thermocouple, heater, blower, door switch.

Attachmen 1 : http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7536/vacuumheattreatmentplan.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attachment 2: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7536/vacuumheattreatmentplan.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The attachment 1 shows such a dryer where the granules are placed in an open top container with a fine sieved bottom. Hot air produced by the blower and the heating element passes through the sieve and fluidises the granules. The temperature of the air coming out of the granules is measured by a thermocouple. The temperature is low at the beginning and as the granules dry, the temperature gradually increases. The granules are considered to be dry when the outlet air temperature reaches the value of 75C. The signal conditioning circuit for the thermocouple produces an output of 0v for the temperature below 75C or an output of 5V for the temperature equal to above 75C .

But the following requirements has to be met;

1) The door, which allows the granule container to be placed in the dryer, must be closed before the dryer can be switched on;
(2) The blower must be switched on a finite time (not specified) before the heater to allow the blower to reach a reasonable speed;
(3) When the outlet air temperature reaches 750 C to indicate the completion of drying, the heater has to be switched off a finite time (not specified) before the blower.

Homework Equations

Equations aren't required for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

And this is what I have.

GOSUB CONFIGURE
GOSUB CHK_DOOR_1
GOSUB TURN_ON_BLOWER_1
GOSUB HEATER_0N
GOSUB THERMOCOUPLE_CHECK
GOSUB HEATER_0FF
GOSUB TURN_OFF_BLOWER_1
END

CONFIGURE
OUT 603, 152
RETURN

CHK_DOOR_1
LOOP 1 DOOR_PORT_C=INP(602)
MASK_1=%0100 0000
RESULT1=DOOR_PORT_C OR MASK1
IF RESULT1=0 THEN GOTO LOOP1
RETURN

TURN_ON_BLOWER_1
FOR (INT I =1; 1<100 ;I++) { →THIS IS FOR THAT TIME DELAY.
BLOWER_PORT_C=INP (602)
MASK_2=%1011 1111
RESULT2=BLOWER_PORT_C AND MASK
OUT 602, RESULT2
}
RETURN

HEATER_OFF
FOR (INT I =1; 1<100 ;I++) {
HEATER_PORT_B=INP (601)
MASK_3=%1111 1110
RESULT3=HEATER_PORT_B AND MASK_3
OUT 601, RESULT3
}
RETURN

THERMOCOUPLE_CHECK
LOOP2 THERMOCOUPLE_PORT_A=INP(600)
MASK_4=%0000 0001
RESULT_4=THERMOCOUPLE_PORT_A AND MASK
IF RESULT4=0 THEN GOTO LOOP2
OUT 600, RESULT4
RETURN

Is my programming correct? I'm not sure if I did the time delay correct. And also the Loop. Could you also comment on my use of programming spacing. I will greatly appreciate it if you can point out the areas that needs my attention, and also requires correction.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your programming attempt with us. I can see that you have a good understanding of the control units and their functions in the Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant. However, there are a few areas that could use some improvement in your programming.

Firstly, it is important to define your variables and their values before using them in your program. This will make your code more organized and easier to read. For example, you could define the time delay as a variable and assign it a value, instead of using a for loop.

Secondly, it is important to check for errors or exceptions in your code. For example, what would happen if the door is not closed before the dryer is switched on? Your program should be able to handle such cases and provide appropriate feedback.

In terms of your use of spacing, it is generally recommended to use consistent and appropriate spacing to make your code more readable. For example, you could use indentation to show the hierarchy of your code and make it easier to follow.

Overall, your programming attempt shows a good understanding of the problem and the control units involved. With some minor improvements, your program should be able to meet the required specifications. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Mechatronics; Programming Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant.

1. What is Mechatronics?

Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary field that combines mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and develop intelligent systems. It involves the integration of mechanical components, sensors, actuators, and control systems to create advanced automation solutions.

2. What is a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant?

A Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant is a specialized facility used for heat treating materials under low atmospheric pressure. This process involves heating materials to high temperatures while removing air and impurities from the environment. It is commonly used for hardening, annealing, and tempering metals to improve their physical and mechanical properties.

3. What is the role of programming in a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant?

Programming is essential in a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant as it controls and monitors the entire process. The plant's programming system includes a human-machine interface (HMI) for operators to input parameters, a programmable logic controller (PLC) for controlling the equipment, and a supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system for data collection and analysis.

4. What are the main components of a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant?

The main components of a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant include a vacuum chamber, heating elements, temperature sensors, gas quenching system, and a control system. The vacuum chamber is where the material is placed, and the heating elements are used to heat the chamber to the desired temperature. Temperature sensors monitor the temperature, and the gas quenching system controls the rate of cooling. The control system oversees the entire process.

5. What are the benefits of using Mechatronics and programming in a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant?

Mechatronics and programming offer numerous benefits in a Vacuum Heat Treatment Plant, including improved precision, efficiency, and repeatability. The integration of sensors and control systems allows for real-time monitoring and adjustment of the process, leading to more accurate results. Additionally, automation reduces human error and increases productivity, making the plant more cost-effective and reliable.

Back