Mechanism to move a platform at a constant velocity

In summary, using a stepper motor controlled by an inexpensive Arundino or Rasberry Pi computer, would be the most precise and controllable solution. Using steel wire/band ( not rope ) around some pulley connected to a servo motor would be the most accurate and precise solution, but it would be the most expensive.
graceless9
Hi all,

I'm new here on Physics Forums and can't wait to delve into some juicy topics!

I have a very practical problem that I need help with. I am doing a home project where I want to move a platform on wheels (loaded to a maximum of 70kg) in a 1.5m long straight line across the floor at a constant, and known velocity . There will be some trial and error before I can define exactly the velocity, but I'm guessing it will be around 1km/hr.

So far, I am thinking of attaching the platform to a rope, which can be passed through a roller anchored on the floor to direct the rope to a pulley on the roof which could then be attached to a weight (something like my dodgy diagram!). I'm guessing that the velocity will be somehow determined by the mass of the weight but I'm unsure how to quantify this.

Thanks so much, looking forward to hearing your input!

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not say how precise the constant velocity must be. If it was me, I would look to use a stepper motor controlled by an inexpensive Arundino or Rasberry Pi computer, to achieve a very precise and controllable velocity.

If you want to do it mechanically, then think of how similar your project is to that of a clock. Clocks try to keep the hands moving at constant velocity. You might visit a clock museum to see the large number of mechanical solutions to this problem.

Likes graceless9
graceless9 said:
1.5m long straight line across the floor at a constant, and known velocity .
If you want it to be exact ( exact velocity, no follow-error, etc. ), you must use steel wire/band ( not rope ) around some pulley connected to a servo motor. That's how they do it within graphical industry.

Likes graceless9
graceless9 said:
I'm guessing that the velocity will be somehow determined by the mass of the weight but I'm unsure how to quantify this.
The acceleration will be determined by the masses of the weight and platform. The velocity will not be constant.

Likes graceless9
anorlunda said:
You do not say how precise the constant velocity must be. If it was me, I would look to use a stepper motor controlled by an inexpensive Arundino or Rasberry Pi computer, to achieve a very precise and controllable velocity.

If you want to do it mechanically, then think of how similar your project is to that of a clock. Clocks try to keep the hands moving at constant velocity. You might visit a clock museum to see the large number of mechanical solutions to this problem.

Awesome idea with the clock! Although I'm looking for precision within 5% so maybe the motor is the way to go and a lot easier. Excuse my ignorance, this is very new to me, but I've looked up the stepper motor and it seems so small - how would I connect it to drive this fairly large load? Were you suggesting to the wheel axle underneath the platform or connected to a wire (as Hesch suggested) that passes through the pulley?

graceless9 said:
Although I'm looking for precision within 5%
That's a lot.

I thought you meant within say 0.05%. The accuracy of the rotational speed of a (digital controlled) servo motor depends of the accuracy of its crystal oscillator, which could be within 10 ppm ( parts per million ). So how accurate can you make the diameter of the pulley wheel?

Hesch said:
That's a lot.

I thought you meant within say 0.05%. The accuracy of the rotational speed of a (digital controlled) servo motor depends of the accuracy of its crystal oscillator, which could be within 10 ppm ( parts per million ). So how accurate can you make the diameter of the pulley wheel?

Yep! This is just a rough home project! Not sure about the accuracy of diameter of the pulley wall as yet, my focus at this early stage is just finding a way to move this platform at a reasonably constant rate and have the ability to adjust this rate. What would be the advantage of using a servo motor over a stepper motor?

graceless9 said:
What would be the advantage of using a servo motor over a stepper motor?
If a stepper motor is loaded by a heavy mass/big inertia, it could easily loose the synchronization ( it will "fall out" ). Even a synchronous servo motor will never loose synchronization as the digital controller will prevent that. It will just yield its maximum torque when overloaded, and will try to come up in speed.

Furthermore a (synchronous) servo motor is not turning "step by step". It turns completely smooth.

Hesch is correct in what he says about servo motors, and about wire rope. But a servo motor and controller powerful enough for your project can be quite expensive.

A low cost way, is to find a used sewing machine, and adapt it to your project. The good ones use powerful servo motors and they include built in controllers.

The mechanical way could be fun too. A wire rope, a pulley, a weight, plus an escapement gear and a pendulum would work well, and it would entertain your children and guests.
Anchor_escapement_animation_217x328px.gif

Related to Mechanism to move a platform at a constant velocity

1. How does a mechanism move a platform at a constant velocity?

A mechanism can move a platform at a constant velocity by utilizing a power source, such as an electric motor or a hydraulic system, to provide a continuous force to the platform. This force must be balanced with the resistance force of the platform's weight and any frictional forces, resulting in a constant velocity.

2. What factors affect the constant velocity of a platform?

The constant velocity of a platform can be affected by various factors, such as the power source used, the weight of the platform, the surface it is moving on, and any frictional forces present. Additionally, the design and efficiency of the mechanism itself can also impact the constant velocity.

3. Can a platform maintain a constant velocity indefinitely?

In theory, a platform can maintain a constant velocity indefinitely if there are no external forces acting upon it. However, in reality, there will always be some degree of resistance and friction, resulting in a gradual decrease in velocity over time. Regular maintenance and adjustments to the mechanism can help prolong the constant velocity of the platform.

4. What is the difference between a constant velocity and a constant speed?

A constant velocity and a constant speed may seem similar, but they have distinct differences. A constant velocity refers to the rate of displacement in a specific direction, whereas a constant speed refers to the rate of movement regardless of direction. In other words, a platform moving at a constant velocity will maintain the same speed and direction, while a platform moving at a constant speed can change direction but will maintain the same rate of movement.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with a mechanism moving a platform at a constant velocity?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with a mechanism moving a platform at a constant velocity. If the mechanism malfunctions or if there are external forces acting upon the platform, it may result in sudden changes in velocity or unexpected movements, potentially causing harm to individuals or objects in the vicinity. Regular maintenance and safety protocols should be in place to prevent accidents and ensure safe operation of the platform.