Mechanism of Most Chemical Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electronegativity and how it relates to chemical reactions. It is mentioned that higher electronegativity atoms seek bonding with lower electronegativity atoms, and this can help determine the negative and positive nature of different parts of a molecule or reactive species. The Diels Alder reaction is used as an example, and steric factors are also discussed as being influenced by electron-electron repulsion. The conversation ends with a lighthearted discussion about obtaining degrees from a cereal box.
what_are_electrons
A Rule of Thumb:
"Higher Electronegativity seeks bonding with Lower Electronegativity"

Before completing my PhD in organic chemistry, with a minor in inorganic, some 20 yrs ago, I realized that the main mechanism for most organic reactions and most inorganic reactions was one of negative seeking a positive. The trick is to identify which part of any molecule or reactive species (ions or radicals) has a negative nature and which part of that molecule or reactive species has a positive nature. This is fairly easy when we determine the electronegativity of the atoms in any molecule or reactive species. Those atoms with more electronegativity behave like negative species. Those atoms with less electroegativity behave like positive species. This is true for neutral molecules as well as ions and radicals.

As an example of a reaction that is a bit less obvious: The Diels Alder reaction (4n+2). The diene part is the more negative species because it has more electron density. The ene part is the more positive species. The electron density of the diene is higher at the two ends of the diene because electrons that are not s-orbital type are "freer" to delocalize and due electron-electron repulsion the electron density moves to the end of the chain.

I'm not suggesting that this method describes all chemical reactions, but it does describe a great many of them.

If you mention steric factors then you are really talking about the electron-electron repulsion of the electrons in the hydrogens, and / or the proton-proton repulsion of the hydrogens. Steric factors are also affected or guided or determined by electron - electron repulsion.

Your thoughts on this "rule of thumb" are most welcome.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, I dare say I agree most mechanisms involve some sort of pushing of electrons.

So where'd you get your degree?

Yep, it's an oversimplification for some mechanisms, but it's a great starting point if you don't know for sure.

Chemicalsuperfreak said:
Yes, I dare say I agree most mechanisms involve some sort of pushing of electrons.

So where'd you get your degree?

Well, Hello.
Mine came out of a cereal box. Where did you get yours?

what_are_electrons said:
Well, Hello.
Mine came out of a cereal box. Where did you get yours?

Oh, I've still got two or three years left to go.

Cerial box, I've never hard of that university. lol

I just sent in my 3500 bar codes from my degree-chex cereal boxes, now I'm just waiting for the papers so its official. :)

Well guys, I guess I mucked up trying to provide a bit of guidance on chem rxtns, so I'm outa dis thread. lol

Related to Mechanism of Most Chemical Reactions

1. What is the overall process of a chemical reaction?

The overall process of a chemical reaction involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds between atoms or molecules. This can result in the rearrangement of atoms to form new substances.

2. What factors influence the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors affect the frequency of collisions between particles and the energy required for successful reactions.

3. How do catalysts speed up a chemical reaction?

Catalysts work by lowering the activation energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. This allows the reaction to happen at a faster rate without being consumed in the process. Catalysts provide an alternative pathway for the reaction to take place, making it more favorable.

4. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat or light. This can be observed by a rise in temperature in the surrounding environment. Examples of exothermic reactions include combustion and neutralization reactions.

5. How does the collision theory explain the mechanism of most chemical reactions?

The collision theory states that for a chemical reaction to occur, particles must collide with enough energy and in the correct orientation. This theory explains the role of factors such as temperature and concentration in determining the rate of a chemical reaction. It also supports the concept of activation energy and the effectiveness of catalysts in increasing reaction rates.