Mechanism of heating organic matter by radio waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for radio waves to heat organic matter when passing through it, and the unclear physical process that causes this heating. The possibility of absorption and re-emittance, as well as the induction of a current leading to resistive heating, are explored. The conversation also mentions the role of electromagnetic theory and explains the concept of phase lag in heating the medium. The idea of thinking about radio waves at a single photon level is also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that the frequency of the wave may be reduced, but the wave itself remains unchanged.
fatherdaly
I'm doing a study that involves radio waves passing through organic matter and have come across several sources that state that radio waves may heat organic matter when passing through it (For example: http://www.mobilfunkstudien.org/downloads/peleg_wm_10.5923.j.biophysics.20120201.01.pdf).

However, I am unclear as to the exact physical process that is causing heating. Clearly it isn't scattering since the wavelengths associated with radio waves are nowhere near the order of the diameter of organic cells. Perhaps absorption and the re-emittance? I find this unlikely too. Is it that the fields of the wave can induce a current which heats by resistive heating?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Think microwave oven.

SteamKing said:
Think microwave oven.

Thanks! I can't believe I was being such a dunce. For clarification, this heating obviously takes energy from the wave. In doing so will the frequency of the wave be reduced (E=hf)? Thinking at a single photon level for radio waves seems a little silly.

fatherdaly said:
Thanks! I can't believe I was being such a dunce.

Heh - I was assuming that your question was really "what exactly is the mechanism by which a microwave oven transfers energy?"

Nugatory said:
Heh - I was assuming that your question was really "what exactly is the mechanism by which a microwave oven transfers energy?"

Nah, I'm just not very on the ball on mondays.

For clarification, this heating obviously takes energy from the wave. In doing so will the frequency of the wave be reduced (E=hf)? Thinking at a single photon level for radio waves seems a little silly.

If you do not like thinking in terms of photons, here is explanation based on electromagnetic theory: the electric field of the radio wave penetrates into the material and makes the electrons oscillate with the same frequency. Various complicated processes damp this oscillating motion, so that the oscillations have certain phase lag behind the electric field. When acting on such motion, the electric force transmits net average power to the particles and thus heats up the medium. (Kind of like when you run with some heavy things in your backpack that are not attached to it well, they will bounce around (as you make jumps running), but they will have some phase lag on average and you will feel they are slowing you down.)

fatherdaly said:
Thanks! I can't believe I was being such a dunce. For clarification, this heating obviously takes energy from the wave. In doing so will the frequency of the wave be reduced (E=hf)? Thinking at a single photon level for radio waves seems a little silly.

No, as E=hf isn't the equation for the energy of an EM wave, it is for the energy of a single photon of a given frequency. The frequency of the wave remains the same but the energy is reduced.

1. What is the mechanism behind heating organic matter by radio waves?

The mechanism involves the absorption of radio waves by the molecules of the organic matter, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This is known as dielectric heating.

2. How do radio waves interact with organic matter to produce heat?

Radio waves have an electric field component that induces an electric dipole moment in the organic molecules, leading to their rotation and vibration, which in turn generates heat.

3. Can all types of organic matter be heated by radio waves?

No, only certain types of organic matter with high dielectric properties can be effectively heated by radio waves. This includes substances like water, fats, and sugars.

4. What is the advantage of using radio waves for heating organic matter?

Radio waves offer a more energy-efficient and precise method of heating compared to traditional methods such as convection or conduction. It also allows for even heating throughout the sample.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using radio waves to heat organic matter?

Yes, there can be safety hazards if the radio waves are not properly controlled and directed. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using radio waves for heating organic matter.