Mechanism of Curvature of Space: Does it Happen Instantly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanism by which matter curves space and the possibility that a more fundamental theory of gravity exists that is based on different assumptions. It also clarifies that there is no contradiction between what was said.
Deepak K Kapur
Hi all,

How does matter curve space (what's the mechanism)?

Does this Curvature happen instantaneously or does it happen at light speed?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter does not curve space. Energy (mass is a form of energy), momentum, and stress act as the source of the curvature of space-time. How this works is described by the Einstein field equations. This is as much "mechanism" anything will get in science. Science makes a model of how things work and then tests its predictions. The model here is that the Universe behaves according to the Einstein field equations.

Likes davidge
Slightly contradicting Orodruin, it's possible that a future theory of gravity would provide an explanation, perhaps in terms of some quantum field (or some other structure - I make no predictions). But then you could ask similar questions about the quantum field and Orodruin's answer would be the only one available.Regarding the speed of propagation of curvature, my understanding is that we don't completely know. Localising energy in gravitational fields in order to say how fast it traveled is difficult. We do predict that gravitational waves travel at c and all our current evidence is consistent with this. However, we would be fairly surprised if any influence propagates faster than light - you can usually generate effect-precedes-cause paradoxes if anything does exceed light speed.

Ibix said:
Slightly contradicting Orodruin, it's possible that a future theory of gravity would provide an explanation, perhaps in terms of some quantum field (or some other structure - I make no predictions). But then you could ask similar questions about the quantum field and Orodruin's answer would be the only one available.
I don't see how this contradicts what I said. My comments were about a theory in general. If you alter the underlying assumptions, it might give you the old theory as a result in some limit, but it will be a different theory that rests on its own assumptions for which no "mechanism" is provided.

Orodruin said:
I don't see how this contradicts what I said.
I read your post as implying that there's no possibility of a more fundamental theory of gravity than general relativity. I know you don't think that, but that's how I read your answer. All I meant was that the OP's specific question may one day have an answer of the sort I suspect the OP wants - "stress-energy emits gravitons", or something like that (I know that's not how quantum gravity theories work). As you say, that theory will rest on its own assumptions that are only justified in a post hoc "because it works" way.

Edit: so I shouldn't have said "contradicting", I should have said "clarifying". I hope contradicting myself clarifies matters.

Last edited:
Likes Imager
Thanks all of you..

Related to Mechanism of Curvature of Space: Does it Happen Instantly?

1. How does the curvature of space occur?

The curvature of space is a fundamental concept in general relativity, which states that the presence of mass and energy causes a curvature in the fabric of space. This curvature can be visualized as a rubber sheet being stretched and curved by a heavy object placed on top of it.

2. Is the curvature of space instantaneous?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the curvature of space is not instantaneous. It is caused by the presence of mass and energy, and the effects of this curvature propagate at the speed of light. This means that changes in the curvature of space will not be observed until some time has passed.

3. Can the curvature of space be observed?

While we cannot directly observe the curvature of space, we can observe its effects. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, is a result of the curvature of space. Additionally, the gravitational waves detected by LIGO are another indirect observation of the curvature of space.

4. Does the curvature of space only occur in the presence of massive objects?

The curvature of space occurs whenever there is energy and momentum present, not just in the presence of massive objects. This means that even light, which has energy and momentum, can cause a curvature in space.

5. Can the curvature of space be explained by other theories?

Currently, the theory of general relativity is the most successful theory in explaining the curvature of space. Other theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, also attempt to explain this phenomenon, but they are still being developed and have yet to be fully tested and proven.