Mechanics work-energy question

In summary: The mass of the cyclist and bicycle is given as 72 kg. The cyclist starts from rest and travels down the slope for 120 m. At the bottom of the slope, the road levels out and the cyclist continues for another 40 m without using the brakes. To find the resisting force, we use the equation:F_{res}=ma=mg\sin\thetaSubstituting the values given, we get:F_{res}=72 \times 9.81 \times \sin(1.9^{\circ}) \approx 2.11 NTherefore, the constant resisting force acting on the cyclist and bicycle is approximately 2.11 N. In summary
shaunchattey
A cyclist starting from rest freewheels for 120m down a slope of 1 in 30. At the bottom of the slope the road becomes horizontal, and the cyclist stops without using his brakes after going a further 40m. If the total mass of the bicycle and rider is 72kg, find the resisting force, assuming it to be constant throughout.

I've been teaching myself physics and maths over the last 6 months and have got stuck on a problem today.
I had trouble figuring out exactly what the grade represents (I haven't used it before) I calculated it to be 3.33% slope or possibly a 4 degree slope if it drops 1 degree every 30m.

Either way I worked out the MGH to be 72*9.81*(sin3.33 * 120) 4923 J

I know I screwed up the grade but beyond that I couldn't figure out how to calculate either the velocity or resistance without knowing one or the other.

Thanks for any help this question has been annoying me and I'm at the point where I've tried too many different things I've only confused myself.

edit: Nevermind I'll work it out myself, I've worked everything out so far. I'll go over the work energy and work against resistance equations again.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to specify what do you mean by "1 in 30" in the first line of your question.

phymat said:
You need to specify what do you mean by "1 in 30" in the first line of your question.

I take that to mean that for every 30 m moved forward horizontally, the road drops 1 m vertically. Therefore the angle of inclination $\theta$ would be:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\arctan\left(\frac{1}{30}\right)\)

Related to Mechanics work-energy question

1. What is the definition of work in mechanics?

The definition of work in mechanics is the product of the force applied on an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to or from an object.

2. How is work related to energy in mechanics?

In mechanics, work is directly related to energy. Work done on an object increases its energy, while work done by an object decreases its energy. This is known as the work-energy principle.

3. What is the difference between work and power in mechanics?

Work is the amount of energy transferred to or from an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

4. Can you explain the concept of kinetic energy in mechanics?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In mechanics, it is defined as one-half of the mass of an object multiplied by the square of its velocity. It is a form of mechanical energy and can be transferred between objects through work.

5. How can work and energy be conserved in a mechanical system?

In a closed mechanical system, the total amount of work and energy remains constant. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the work done by one object will be equal to the work done on another object, and the total energy of the system will remain the same.