Mechanics- tension in a coupling

In summary: The 5kg truck will have a normal reaction force of 5N and the 2kg truck will have a normal reaction force of 2N.
xllx

Homework Statement

A truck that has a mass of 5kg is being pulled up a slope by a string. The truck is also pulling another truck of mass 2kg up the slope with a rigid coupling inbetween the trucks. Ths slope is inclined at 10 degrees to the horizontal. The 5kg truck has a resistance of 8N and the smaller truck a resistance of 6N. Show that the coupling remains in tension, regardless of the tension in the string, whilst the trucks are moving up the slope.

Homework Equations

I've been told that this is true:
gsin10+6/2 > gsin10+8/5

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand why the smaller truck has got to be greater. But I don't understand why the masses are divided on the equaiton. I thought that it would be 2gsin10 etc. but that doesn't work. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a FBD for each truck and write the equations of motion parallel and perpendicular to the slope. That should get you started.

For the 5kg truck I've got:
5gsin10+8=T1 (in the string) parallel to the slope
5gcos10=? (perpendicular) I'm not sure what it would equal because there is no other force that is acting at an angle, and 8cos90 would be 0.

then for the 2kg truck, again similar:
2gsin10+6=T2 (in the coupling) parallel to the slope
2gcos10=? (perpendicular) Again, I'm not sure about the other perpendicular values.

Thanks again, are these equations right?

Does the slope push back on these two trucks?

You need to look again at the FBD for the 5kg truck. You have overlooked part of the system there.

Dr.D said:
Does the slope push back on these two trucks?

You need to look again at the FBD for the 5kg truck. You have overlooked part of the system there.

So the perpendicular equations will equal the reaction force (R), totally forgot about that. Thanks.

Oh and will the 5kg truck also have the Tension from the coupling and tension from the string?

So it will be:
5gsin10+8-T2=T1

From there will I have to do simultaneous equations? But I'm still not sure how it is proving that the coupling remains in tension. Thanks again.

If you get a postive number for the coupling tension, then it remains in tension. If you get a result that could go negative, then it might not remain in tension.

There will be separate normal reaction forces on each truck.

Related to Mechanics- tension in a coupling

1. What is tension in a coupling?

Tension in a coupling refers to the force that is applied to a coupling in order to keep two objects connected and in place. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How is tension in a coupling calculated?

Tension in a coupling can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the coupling by the distance between the points where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect tension in a coupling?

Several factors can affect the tension in a coupling, including the magnitude of the force applied, the distance between the points where the force is applied, and the type of materials used in the coupling. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the tension in a coupling.

4. How does tension in a coupling impact the stability of a system?

Tension in a coupling is essential for maintaining the stability of a system. If the tension is too low, the coupling may not be able to hold the objects in place, leading to instability and potential failure. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can put excessive stress on the coupling and the connected objects, which can also lead to instability and failure.

5. Can tension in a coupling be adjusted?

Yes, tension in a coupling can be adjusted by changing the force applied or the distance between the points where the force is applied. This is important for ensuring the proper tension is maintained in a system and can be done through the use of tools such as tension wrenches or by adjusting the position of the coupling.