Mechanics Question on Vibrations

In summary, the conversation discusses a hoist mechanism and the process of deriving the equations of motion for it. The equations are found using Lagrange's equations and then put into a matrix to find the natural frequencies and corresponding mode shapes. The conversation also mentions the values of the various parameters involved in the equations. The person involved in the conversation is looking for guidance on deriving the correct equations of motion and is currently struggling with finding the equation for the moment.
serfinos

Homework Statement

[URL=http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgso5.jpg][PLAIN]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/790/imgso5.th.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

A hoist mechanism is modeled as shown in the figure. The drum is driven through a gearbox, the mass and flexibility of which is modeled as shown. The load required to be lifted and the cable stifness are also given.
Choose the appropriate co-ordinates and write down the equations of motion.
Put these equations in a matrix form and using values of
m=100 kg
k=500 kN/m
r=0.5 m
I(drum)= mk2 where k(radius of gyration)=1.4r
obtain all the natural frequencies and corresponding mode shapes.

Homework Equations

There are not relevant equations , i have made an attempt to write the equations of motion but i think i am wrong. Could anyone suggest a way on starting it ?

The Attempt at a Solution

ΣF= ma => k1(x-2rθ) - κ2 (x+2rθ) = Μx this is for the Force
ΣΜ=Ι α => -κ1(x-2rθ) ? = Ι θ

If anyone knows how to derive the right equations of motion it will be really helpful.
It will be one equation for the Force and one for the Moment , taking the right co-ordinates as well. And after it will be solved with the method of matrices.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using Lagrange's equations to solve for the equations of motion. It's a lot simpler to find the equations of motion with Lagrange's equations (providing you don't leave out any of the terms).

After you find them using Lagrange's equations, you can put it into a matrix, find the characteristic equation, and find the natural frequencies accordingly.

Firstly thanks for replying , this is what i get :
2 equations for motion and i am struggling to get the one for the moment.
mx1=-kx1-2krθ
mx2=-2kx2 - 2krθ

do you know if i am on the right way ?

Related to Mechanics Question on Vibrations

1. What is the definition of "vibrations" in mechanics?

Vibrations refer to the oscillating or back-and-forth motion of a mechanical system about a fixed point or equilibrium position.

2. What factors affect the frequency of vibrations?

The frequency of vibrations is affected by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system. A higher mass or stiffness will result in a lower frequency, while a higher damping will result in a higher frequency.

3. How are vibrations measured?

Vibrations are typically measured using an accelerometer, which is a device that can detect and measure the acceleration of a vibrating object. The data can then be analyzed to determine the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of the vibrations.

4. What are some common applications of studying vibrations in mechanics?

Vibrations are important in many fields of engineering, such as structural engineering, aerospace engineering, and mechanical engineering. They are also studied in the field of acoustics to understand and control sound waves. In addition, vibrations can be used in technologies such as musical instruments, engines, and medical equipment.

5. How can vibrations be controlled or reduced?

There are various methods for controlling or reducing vibrations in mechanical systems. These include adjusting the mass, stiffness, or damping of the system, adding vibration isolators or dampers, and implementing active vibration control techniques such as feedback control systems. Proper design and maintenance can also help minimize unwanted vibrations.