Mechanics, question about generalized coordinates

In summary: I make a new example?In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between generalized coordinates and Cartesian coordinates in a system of free particles with no constraints. The PDF states that if the constraints do not explicitly depend on time, then the coordinate transformation between the generalized coordinates and Cartesian coordinates will also not explicitly depend on time. The conversation includes a counter-example where the generalized coordinates are chosen to be the Cartesian coordinates of a frame moving with a constant velocity relative to another frame. However, the statement in the PDF refers to the coordinate transformation between the generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of the moving frame, not the stationary frame. Therefore, the example does not disprove the statement in the PDF.
Coffee_
I can start explaining the problem but a more quicker way would be to open this link:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9783527627486.app2/pdf

and check the paragraph resulting in expression (B.5).

Note that I don't really care about the kinetic energy they talk about in this link, just the expression B.5 and the paragraph that precedes it.

So it seems that as long as the constraints between the particles do not depend on time explicitly (scleronomic constraints), cartesian coordinates only depend on the generalized coordinates explicitly.

However, then I have a question about what choices are allowed for the generalized coordinates. What if I pick another coordinate frame moving with a constant velocity relative to mine. And then I call those coordinates the generalized coordinates. Then obviously, no constraints are present but still the transformation between my cartesian coordinates and the generalized coordinates are explicitly time dependent.

However in class we clearly stated that if no time dependent constraints are presents all the position vectors in our frame depend only on the generalized coordinates explicitly.

Where am I thinking wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coffee_ said:
What if I pick another coordinate frame moving with a constant velocity relative to mine. And then I call those coordinates the generalized coordinates.

What do you mean by "picking another frame relative to mine"? What is "your" coordinate frame? If you have a collection of free particles, there is no intrinsic coordinate frame until you've picked one.

For whatever reference frame you choose, the Cartesian coordinates of a point in that reference frame will not be time-dependent.

thecommexokid said:
What do you mean by "picking another frame relative to mine"? What is "your" coordinate frame? If you have a collection of free particles, there is no intrinsic coordinate frame until you've picked one.

For whatever reference frame you choose, the Cartesian coordinates of a point in that reference frame will not be time-dependent.

Alright so let me pick one frame F. From this frame all the particles are described by my cartesian coordinates.

Assuming I have no constraints, I can pick a set of numbers that are equal to the amount of cartesian coordinates which contain information about my system as well. More specifically, I have to be able to transform from the carthesian frames to these numbers and vice versa. These ''numbers'' are what I understand generalized coordinates.

Now I can always pick these numbers to be the positions for the particles that would be measured from a hypothetical frame moving away from me at some velocity. (This frame doesn't exist I just imagine it to move way from me and imagine what one would measure from that frame.) If I know the amount of time passed, and all those numbers , I can uniquely transform back and forth from these numbers to my carthesian coords and vice versa.

So this ''weird'' choice seems to behave like I'd like generalized coordinates to behave. Why isn't this a valid choice for the generalized coordinates?

Coffee_ said:
Alright so let me pick one frame F. From this frame all the particles are described by my cartesian coordinates.

Assuming I have no constraints, I can pick a set of numbers that are equal to the amount of cartesian coordinates which contain information about my system as well. More specifically, I have to be able to transform from the carthesian frames to these numbers and vice versa. These ''numbers'' are what I understand generalized coordinates.

Now I can always pick these numbers to be the positions for the particles that would be measured from a hypothetical frame moving away from me at some velocity. (This frame doesn't exist I just imagine it to move way from me and imagine what one would measure from that frame.) If I know the amount of time passed, and all those numbers , I can uniquely transform back and forth from these numbers to my carthesian coords and vice versa.

So this ''weird'' choice seems to behave like I'd like generalized coordinates to behave. Why isn't this a valid choice for the generalized coordinates?

If I understand correctly, our entire conversation is about the following claim made in the PDF, which I have slightly paraphrased:

If the constraints do not explicitly depend on time, then the coordinate transformation which describes the generalized coordinates in terms of the Cartesian coordinates will not explicitly depend on time either.

Let's see if this is true for your proposed counter-example.

Your example is a system of free particles, such that there are no constraints. Clearly, then, the constraints do not depend on time, since there are none.

For your generalized coordinates {q1, …, qN}, you have picked the Cartesian coordinates of some reference frame F' = {x'1, …, x'N}, which moves with a constant velocity v with respect to some other reference frame F = {x1, …, xN}.

You point out that the coordinate transformation between your generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of F is time-dependent. This is true but irrelevant to the claim in the PDF. What meaning does frame F have? So far you have done nothing to even specify the meaning of F.

But the way I read it, the statement in bold above refers to the coordinate transformation between your generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of the frame F'. Which is simply
{ q1 = x'1
{ ⋮
{ qN = x'N,​
which is time-independent.

You wrote that the frame F' is a "hypothetical frame moving away from me at some velocity. (This frame doesn't exist I just imagine it to move way from me and imagine what one would measure from that frame)". I disagree. If you have defined your generalized coordinates in the frame F', then that is the frame which is relevant to you. It is frame F which is hypothetical and imaginary. You haven't done anything to give any physical relevance to frame F, and it bears no consideration in your analysis of the relationship between your generalized coordinates and Cartesian coordinates.

thecommexokid said:

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. I will certainly re-read it a few times to fully grasp the clue of your explanation.

I just realize I over complicate the point of my question with my example. Do you mind thinking about one more ''counter -example''?

Consider a 1D motion of a point particle on the x-axis. The cartesian coordinate is this ##x##.

Now I define my generalized coordinate as ##q=x+t## just for the fun.

Since I've never seen any formal definition of what generalized coordinates have to obey in class, I don't see why I'm not allowed to make this choice for q.

Coffee_ said:
Do you mind thinking about one more ''counter -example''?

No, I don't mind at all, but this is actually not a different counter-example from your old one, just a more specific case. Here, you have again chosen a frame F = {x}, and then defined frame F' = {x'}, where x' = xvt. You've just specified that v=–1.

So once again, the relationship between the generalized coordinate you have chosen and the Cartesian coordinate of the frame F' is time-independent. The relationship between your generalized coordinate and the Cartesian coordinate of the frame F is not, but that doesn't matter, frame F would never have even entered the conversation in the first place if you hadn't artificially introduced it.

Coffee_ said:
Since I've never seen any formal definition of what generalized coordinates have to obey in class, I don't see why I'm not allowed to make this choice for q.

You are absolutely allowed to make this choice for q. But the generalized coordinate that you have chosen by making that choice is simply the Cartesian coordinate of F', and F' is the frame in which the relationship between the generalized coordinate and Cartesian coordinate is time-independent.

thecommexokid said:

So there is no way I can construct a time dependent conversion between generalized and cartesian coordinates for a system of free particles without constraints? The only way to do so is having time dependent constraint functions on the generalized variables?

Coffee_ said:
So there is no way I can construct a time dependent conversion between generalized and cartesian coordinates for a system of free particles without constraints? The only way to do so is having time dependent constraint functions on the generalized variables?

Not without me being able to find a different frame in which your conversion is no longer time-dependent.

It might help to discuss an examples of how generalized coordinates actually get used in the wild.

Consider a system of 1 free particle in 3 dimensions, where I choose spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) for my generalized coordinates. There are no constraints, so the constraints are trivially time-independent. The coordinate transformation between the generalized coordinates I've chosen and the Cartesian coordinates is given by
[tex]
\begin{cases}
x(r,\theta,\phi) = r\sin\theta\cos\phi \\
y(r,\theta,\phi) = r\sin\theta\sin\phi \\
z(r,\theta,\phi) = r\cos\theta,
\end{cases}
[/tex]
which you'll notice is time-independent. So the statement is confirmed: Time-independent constraints ⇒ time-independent coordinate transformation.

Of course, if I ask for the coordinate transformation between these generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of some other arbitrary reference frame, that will depend on time. But that would be a strange thing to ask for, and it doesn't change the fact that the relationship between my generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of the relevant reference frame is time-independent.

The example still works if I introduce a constraint that the particle is confined to the surface of a cone, rather than free. The constraint can be written as θ = some constant α, which is time-independent. My coordinate transformation is still the same as before, so again: Time-independent constraints ⇒ time-independent coordinate transformation.

thecommexokid said:
It might help to discuss an examples of how generalized coordinates actually get used in the wild.

Consider a system of 1 free particle in 3 dimensions, where I choose spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) for my generalized coordinates. There are no constraints, so the constraints are trivially time-independent. The coordinate transformation between the generalized coordinates I've chosen and the Cartesian coordinates is given by
[tex]
\begin{cases}
x(r,\theta,\phi) = r\sin\theta\cos\phi \\
y(r,\theta,\phi) = r\sin\theta\sin\phi \\
z(r,\theta,\phi) = r\cos\theta,
\end{cases}
[/tex]
which you'll notice is time-independent. So the statement is confirmed: Time-independent constraints ⇒ time-independent coordinate transformation.

Of course, if I ask for the coordinate transformation between these generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of some other arbitrary reference frame, that will depend on time. But that would be a strange thing to ask for, and it doesn't change the fact that the relationship between my generalized coordinates and the Cartesian coordinates of the relevant reference frame is time-independent.

The example still works if I introduce a constraint that the particle is confined to the surface of a cone, rather than free. The constraint can be written as θ = some constant α, which is time-independent. My coordinate transformation is still the same as before, so again: Time-independent constraints ⇒ time-independent coordinate transformation.

Yeah I've used them in the wild for a bit already, and indeed they always were time independent for scleronomic constraints but I never really thought about what the theory behind it was . Thanks a lot for taking the time it's a lot clearer now!

Related to Mechanics, question about generalized coordinates

1. What are generalized coordinates in mechanics?

Generalized coordinates are a set of independent variables that are used to describe the position and orientation of a system in mechanics. They are chosen in such a way that they uniquely determine the state of the system at any given time.

2. Why are generalized coordinates used in mechanics?

Generalized coordinates are used in mechanics because they simplify the mathematical description of a system. They allow for a more efficient and compact representation of the system's motion and make it easier to apply the principles of mechanics.

3. How are generalized coordinates related to degrees of freedom?

Generalized coordinates and degrees of freedom are closely related in mechanics. The number of generalized coordinates needed to describe a system is equal to the number of degrees of freedom of that system. This means that each generalized coordinate corresponds to a particular type of motion or constraint within the system.

4. Can any set of variables be used as generalized coordinates?

No, not every set of variables can be used as generalized coordinates. They must be chosen carefully to ensure that they are independent and can uniquely describe the state of the system. Additionally, they should be as simple as possible to make the mathematical analysis of the system easier.

5. How do generalized coordinates change with time in a dynamic system?

In a dynamic system, generalized coordinates change with time according to the equations of motion. These equations describe how the generalized coordinates and their derivatives (velocities and accelerations) are related, and they are derived from the system's Lagrangian function.