Mechanics - Pulley system finding coefficient of friction

In summary, the equations for the vertical and horizontal forces on the farmer balance each other out. However, there is now a new variable, Ffriction, which needs to be found in order to find the minimum friction necessary to keep the farmer from slipping.
Roaku

Homework Statement

Mechanics Q36a.png

Homework Equations

I believe:
F = m . a
Ffriction = μs . N
Ffriction = μs . mg . cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite get how the equations above would give me an answer to the minimum friction required so that the farmer doesn't slip. I know Fl = (70x9.81)cos(40) = 526N But there is now a variable Ffriction that I don't know how to find...

I'm terrible at physics. If someone could explain or give me a head start, it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Roaku! Welcome to PF :smile:

Start by making the free body diagram of the problem. You will have the forces balanced as, for the vertical direction, of the farmer...

[tex]Tsin\theta - mg = N[/tex]

where N is the normal reaction, and T is tension in the rope.

Similarly, you will have an equation for the horizontal direction for the farmer, involving frictional force. Find the normal reaction from the above equation and use it in the one you made to get the minimum static friction.

Roaku said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 48197

Homework Equations

I believe:
F = m . a
Ffriction = μs . N General Equatiom
Ffriction = μs . mg . cosθ NOT general equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite get how the equations above would give me an answer to the minimum friction required so that the farmer doesn't slip. I know Fl = (70x9.81)cos(40) = 526N But there is now a variable Ffriction that I don't know how to find...

I'm terrible at physics. If someone could explain or give me a head start, it would be appreciated.

Use only general equation.
Then find value of N.
You also need to know not only the magnitude but also the direction of all the forces involve.

Last edited:
Infinitum said:
Start by making the free body diagram of the problem. You will have the forces balanced as, for the vertical direction, of the farmer...

[tex]Tsin\theta - mg = N[/tex]

where N is the normal reaction, and T is tension in the rope.

The free-body diagram refers to the man. N is the normal force exerted on his feet by the ground. It points upward. The ground can not exert downward force. The vertical component of the tension also points upward. The weight of the man points downward. So the equation for the vertical force components is Tsin(theta)+N-mg=0, that is, N= mg-Tsin(theta)

ehild

Whoops, I mis-posted the equation.

[tex]Tsin\theta - mg + N = 0[/tex]

Thanks for observing that, ehild :smile:

Related to Mechanics - Pulley system finding coefficient of friction

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a wheel and a rope or cable to change the direction of a force and lift or move an object.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage, where the input force is spread out over multiple ropes and pulleys, resulting in a smaller amount of force needed to lift or move an object.

3. What is the coefficient of friction in a pulley system?

The coefficient of friction in a pulley system is a measure of the amount of friction between the ropes and the pulleys. It is typically used to calculate the mechanical advantage of the system.

4. How do you find the coefficient of friction in a pulley system?

The coefficient of friction in a pulley system can be found by measuring the force needed to lift or move an object and calculating the mechanical advantage using the known weight of the object and the number of ropes and pulleys in the system. The coefficient of friction can then be calculated by dividing the weight of the object by the mechanical advantage.

5. How can the coefficient of friction in a pulley system be adjusted?

The coefficient of friction in a pulley system can be adjusted by changing the materials used for the ropes and pulleys. Materials with higher friction, such as rubber or rough surfaces, will result in a higher coefficient of friction. Additionally, reducing the number of ropes and pulleys in the system can also decrease the coefficient of friction.