Mechanics Problem: Sliding Ring and Hoops on a Rough Surface

In summary, a ring of mass 100gm slides down from point A on two identical thin loops of mass 200gm each, with the centres of the loops at B and C. The loops are moving apart on a rough horizontal surface, and friction between the ring and the hoops is neglected. The normal reaction on each loop at t=0 and the acceleration of the loop at t=0 are to be found. The angle between ABC and ACB is 45 degrees. The problem involves balancing forces and understanding the geometry to find relationships between the accelerations.
BBAI BBAI

Homework Statement

A ring of mass 100gm connecting freely two identical thin loops of mass 200gm each, starts sliding down from point A at t=0. The centres of loops are B and C.The loops move apart over a sufficciently rough horizontal surface.[Neglect the friction between the ring and the hoop]g=10 Find
i) The normal reaction acting on each loop given by the horizontal surface at t=0
ii)Acceleration of loop at t=0
Given angle ABC=ACB=45

Homework Equations

I had no idea of it...What to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to balance the forces acting at point A. but get nothing ..Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram for this problem? I am at loss trying to understand the setup.

See i had a diagram..but it is in GGB FILE..For at loss.. I am telling Draw two intersecting circles..Name the topmost point as A..The ring is at A and the centres of the circles are B and C.B and C are the loops. Did it help?? or what's your confusion??

Sorry, it is still unclear. Can't you take a screenshot and attach it here?

Sorry i don't have a mobile..But what's your problem..Tell .I shall try my best to clear it.

voko said:
Sorry, it is still unclear. Can't you take a screenshot and attach it here?
Seems they're rigid hoops, not loops, standing on a rough horizontal surface. The ring is arbitrarily small.
BBAI BBAI, Can you draw free body diagrams for the ring and for one hoop? What forces are there in each case? What equations can you write down (not forgetting everything is accelerating)?
Note that the geometry will give a relationship between the acceleration of the ring and the acceleration of the hoops.

Related to Mechanics Problem: Sliding Ring and Hoops on a Rough Surface

1. What is a "mechanics problem of rings"?

A mechanics problem of rings refers to a problem or scenario in which the motion or behavior of a ring or circular object is analyzed using the principles of mechanics. This could involve topics such as forces, motion, rotation, and equilibrium.

2. What are some common examples of mechanics problems involving rings?

Some common examples of mechanics problems involving rings include calculating the tension in a ring that is supporting a weight, determining the acceleration of a rotating ring, and analyzing the forces acting on a ring that is rolling down an inclined plane.

3. How do you approach solving a mechanics problem of rings?

The first step in solving a mechanics problem of rings is to identify all the forces acting on the ring and draw a free body diagram. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and any relevant equations to determine the unknown quantities. It is also important to consider any constraints, such as the ring being in equilibrium or moving at a constant velocity.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when solving a mechanics problem of rings?

Some challenges that may arise when solving a mechanics problem of rings include the complexity of the problem, the need to consider multiple forces and their interactions, and the use of advanced mathematical concepts such as torque and moment of inertia. It is important to have a strong understanding of mechanics principles and problem-solving techniques to overcome these challenges.

5. How can understanding mechanics problems of rings be useful in real life?

Understanding mechanics problems of rings can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It allows us to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of circular objects in various situations, which can help in designing structures, machines, and other systems. Additionally, it helps us understand the fundamental principles of motion and forces, which have broad applications in many areas of science and technology.