Mechanics problem - how fast for a car to take off on a hill.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a stuntman attempting to get his car airborne at the top of a hill. Two solutions are presented, with one suggesting a speed of 99.6 mpm and the other suggesting 70.4 mph. The conversation concludes that the second approach is the correct way to solve the problem. The similarity between the derived equation and the formula for escape velocity from a planet is also noted.
leoflindall

Homework Statement

I have solved the following question in two ways which give different answers. Both methods are similar but a little bit different so I think one is wrong. Can anyone advise me which (if either) of the answers is right?

A stuntman is preparing his next stunt. He needs to get his car airborne once he reaches the top of the hill. The hilltop is roughly a vertical circle with radius 100m. How fast does he need to drive.

Homework Equations

E=1/2 m v^2
PE=mgh
Centripetal acceleration (a) = (V^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1.

At the point of takeoff the energy of the car must be equal to the potential energy at the top oh the hill. So we can say that KE=PE, and thus

1/2 mv^2 = mgh

which rearranged:

V = [tex]\sqrt{2 g r}[/tex] , where r is the radius of the hill, and g is the acceleration.

This gives an answer of 99.6 mpm.

Solution 2

At the point of take off the Force acting upwards on the car must be equal to the weight (mg) of the car. Knowing the formula for centripetal acceleration we can derive an equation for the force upwards,

F = m [tex]\frac{V^{2}}{r}[/tex]

This equated to mg yields,

mg=m[tex]\frac{V^{2}}{r}[/tex]

which rearranges;

V =[tex]\sqrt{gr}[/tex]

which gives an answer of 70.4mph.

Both answers are plausible as there is only a factor of root 2 difference. I would be very appreciative if anyone could advise me as to which method is correct, and what is wrong with the other!

Leo

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leo! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your 1 has nothing to do with the problem … it's the equation for the speed at the bottom if it starts from rest at the top of the circle!

(Your 2, correctly, has no height difference or KE difference … why does your 1 have both? :confused:)

Hi tiny-tim,

I thought the second one was right. The reason I am confused is that I know that the escape velocity from a planet is [tex]\sqrt{2gr}[/tex], and having noticed the similarity between the equation (2) I derived I wondered if I had made a mistake.

So, the second approach is the best way to solve this problem?

Many Thanks

Leo

Hi Leo! :smile:

Yes, the second approach is the way to solve this problem. :wink:
leoflindall said:
… The reason I am confused is that I know that the escape velocity from a planet is [tex]\sqrt{2gr}[/tex], and having noticed the similarity between the equation (2) I derived I wondered if I had made a mistake.

Using dimensional analysis (units), any speed that depends on g and r has to be a multiple of √(gr), so this similarity is to be expected! :smile:

Cheers!

Thank you for your help!

Leo

this problem is confusing to me. I am really sorry that I cannot give much insight to the problem, but it sounds to me like what they are asking is what angular velocity must the car travel to overcome the centripetal acceleration. God this problem is confusing. But I've also notice that angular velocity and tangential velocity are different. So, god sorry. Please message me to tell me how you figured this out. I really want to know.

Related to Mechanics problem - how fast for a car to take off on a hill.

1. How do you calculate the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill?

The speed needed for a car to take off on a hill can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second (m/s), g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the hill in meters.

2. What factors affect the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill?

The factors that affect the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill include the weight and mass of the car, the angle of the hill, the force of gravity, and any external forces such as friction or wind resistance.

3. Can the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill be greater than the speed limit?

Technically, yes, the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill can be greater than the speed limit. However, it is important to always follow posted speed limits and drive at a safe speed to prevent accidents and maintain control of the vehicle.

4. How does the speed needed for a car to take off on a hill differ for manual and automatic transmissions?

The speed needed for a car to take off on a hill may differ slightly for manual and automatic transmissions due to differences in how the gears and clutch system operate. However, the overall principles and calculations for determining the speed needed remain the same.

5. What is the maximum speed a car can take off on a hill?

The maximum speed a car can take off on a hill depends on various factors such as the weight and power of the car, the angle of the hill, and any external forces. However, there is no specific maximum speed as it ultimately depends on the capabilities of the car and the driver's skill and judgement.