Mechanics of Materials: Torsional deformation at free end with torque at middle

In summary, the question at hand is to determine the twist angle from end A to end B of a circular shaft with a torque acting at the middle of the shaft, defined as plane C. End A is fixed while end B is free to rotate. The equation for the twist angle is phi=(T*L)/(G*I_p). The student has searched their class notes and textbooks but could not find an example where a shaft has a free end with no reaction torques and the twist angle is determined there. They are unsure if the twist angle rate remains constant for the length of the rod in this case. The student is also considering the material perspective and is unsure of what happens from plane C to end B on the shaft. A hint is
webtek23

Homework Statement

A circular shaft AB has a torque T acting at the middle of the shaft, defined as plane C. Shaft end A is fixed while shaft end B is free to rotate (mounted in a thrust bearing). Finding the twist angle from A to C is not difficult, but the question requires that the twist angle from A to B be determined.

Homework Equations

phi=(T*L)/(G*I_p)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked back through all my class notes, homework, and mechanics of materials textbooks and can't seem to find any examples where a shaft has a free end with no reaction torques and where the twist angle is determined there. I have been able to find several sources which say that the twist angle rate should remain constant for the length of the rod, but I am not sure if this applies for a rod where there is no reaction torque on the free end. From a materials perspective, I would also not expect the twist angle rate to instantly change after plane C where the torque is applied. Can anyone help me out with understanding what would happen from C to B on the shaft?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Is there any torque in the section from C to B? What does that tell you about the twist at B relative to C? Or the twist at B relative to A?

Related to Mechanics of Materials: Torsional deformation at free end with torque at middle

1. What is torsional deformation in mechanics of materials?

Torsional deformation refers to the twisting of a material in response to an applied torque or twisting force. This can cause a change in the shape or position of the material.

2. How does torsional deformation affect materials?

Torsional deformation can cause stress and strain within a material, leading to potential changes in its mechanical properties such as stiffness and strength. In extreme cases, it can cause the material to fail.

3. What factors influence torsional deformation in a material?

The degree of torsional deformation in a material is influenced by its shape, size, and material properties such as elasticity and shear strength. The applied torque and the distance from the point of application also play a role.

4. How is torsional deformation calculated in mechanics of materials?

The degree of torsional deformation in a material can be calculated using the equation τ = T/J, where τ is the shear stress, T is the applied torque, and J is the polar moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area of the material.

5. What is the significance of torsional deformation in engineering applications?

Torsional deformation is an important consideration in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, as it can affect the performance and durability of a structure. Understanding and managing torsional deformation is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of various engineering applications.