Mechanics - Hooke's law and energy conservation

In summary, a bead attached to a light elastic string with stiffness mg/l and natural length l is released from a point O and falls vertically. The greatest depth it will reach below O can be found by using the equations Ek=(mv^2)/2, Es=(ex^2)/(2l), Eg=mgh, and suvat. However, using the wrong equation for the modulus of elasticity results in an incorrect final equation of Et= (mgx^2)2l.
HopelessStudent

Homework Statement

One end of a light elastic string of stiffness mg/l and natural length l is attached to a point O. A small bead of mass m is fixed to the free end of the string. The bead is held at O and then released so that it will fall vertically. In terms of find the greatest depth to which it will fall below O.

Homework Equations

Ek=(mv^2)/2 Es=(ex^2)/(2l) Eg=mgh suvat

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i started off by splitting the motion up into 4 parts. Part 1 before it dropped Et = Eg so total energy is mgh which is mg(l+x). Part 2 is as its fell a distance l Et = Eg + Ek. Using suvat i got the speed so i got the equation Et = xmg + mlg. Part 3 will be taken at any time while the mass is moving and extending the string. Part 4 is at the maximum extension and not moving so i got Et=Es which is Et = (mgx^2)/2.

To me that all seems correct but when i try combining the equations to get x i can't seem to get anything that works. Can someone show me where I've gone wrong please? Thanks

I've just noticed I've been using the wrong equations and using modulus of elasticity not k so the final equation should be Et= (mgx^2)2l

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to patch up your four-step solution or think about how to reduce it to one step.

Related to Mechanics - Hooke's law and energy conservation

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a fundamental principle in mechanics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting displacement of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the object, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. How is Hooke's law expressed mathematically?

Hooke's law can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the object), and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is an important concept in mechanics because it helps us understand and predict how objects behave under the influence of external forces. It is also the basis for many engineering applications, such as the design of springs and shock absorbers.

4. How does Hooke's law relate to energy conservation?

Hooke's law is directly related to energy conservation because it describes the exchange of energy between an object and a force. When a force is applied to an object, work is done and energy is transferred to the object. This energy is stored as potential energy in the object's elastic potential energy. When the force is removed, the object returns to its original position, releasing the stored potential energy as kinetic energy.

5. Can Hooke's law be applied to all objects?

Hooke's law can only be applied to objects that exhibit elastic behavior, meaning they can return to their original shape and size after being deformed by a force. Examples of such objects include springs, rubber bands, and certain types of metals. Objects that do not exhibit elastic behavior, such as plastic or putty, do not follow Hooke's law.