Entropy: Which Container Has More?

• Thread starter Jonathan
  • Start date
In summary, a question is posed about the concept of entropy and whether a container with molecules bouncing around has more entropy than one with molecules spinning in place. The general consensus is that the container with bouncing molecules has more entropy, as entropy is closely related to disorder and randomness. An analogy is made with a closed system of balls, where the more random their movements, the higher the entropy. It is also noted that entropy is not just about kinetic energy, but also includes other factors such as disorder and randomness.
Jonathan
Entropy question

I've got myself all confused, I don't even know if my question makes sense. But here it goes: If you have a container with X molecules just bouncing around like usual, and a container with X molecules, but none of them move, they only spin in place, which container has more entropy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it to be the one with the particles moving around the container. as entropy is chaos.

That is what I thought, because it seems like even though the molecules in one box spin, they don't hit anything and so it would seem like they are very cold/low entropy, but I really don't trust myself, because technically the molecules still have kinetic energy, it is just going around in circles.
Are there any differing opinions?

Last edited:
kinetic energy is not directly connected to entropy. Entropy is closer to being a measure of disorder and a bunch of molecules sitting in fixed positions is about as ordered as you can get!

(I said "closer to" because I I said "Entropy is disorder" I would get jumped on with both feet!)

I understand, it is easy to get confused, because when I think of thermodynamics I think of gases, and cold gases are by definition orderly and have a low average kinectic energy.
So you agree then, the spinning in one spot molecules have less entropy than the bouncing all over ones.

I've tried to PM HallsofIvy twice, and don't know if I'm filling up his inbox more than it says it is, so I will just ask here, though it is slightly off topic. Can one draw a literal analogy between the molecules above and a small closed system of balls? If we had, say 10, balls bouncing around in a closed system, would that system have more entropy than a closed system of 10 balls just sitting and spinning in place?

Yes, balls flying around a room have more entropy than balls sitting in one location. The more random the "flying", the more entropy.
(Apparently I haven't been deleting private messages. Now, if I can just figure out HOW to do that!)

Good, thank you.

check out my "Maxwell's Demon" post about entropy and give your suggestions.

You are making more out of entropy than it is. Entropy is only disorder.

Hold a glass in your hand - that has a relatively low entroypy. Drop the glass on the floor - that has a higher entropy. If you take those broken peaces of glass and start shaking them up they have even a greater entropy, ect...

Nautica

Imagine entropy most simply as states (i. e., all possible arrangements) of a given physical system. Introducing a degree of freedom like linear velocity dependent kinetic energy should increase entropy due to the added configurations of states. (For an ideal gas, each degree of freedom for spin, linear velocity or rotation contributes kT/2 in energy.)

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is often referred to as the "arrow of time" because it tends to increase over time, resulting in systems becoming more disordered.

2. How is entropy related to containers?

In the context of the question "which container has more entropy?", entropy is related to the number of possible arrangements of molecules within a container. The more possible arrangements, the higher the entropy.

3. Which container has more entropy?

In general, larger containers have more entropy because they have more space for molecules to move and arrange themselves in different ways. However, the specific answer depends on the number of molecules, the size and shape of the containers, and other factors.

4. How does temperature affect entropy?

Temperature and entropy are directly related. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of molecules also increases, resulting in more movement and disorder. Therefore, higher temperatures often lead to higher entropy.

5. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In a closed system, entropy can only stay the same or increase. It is not possible to reverse or decrease entropy without an external input of energy. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics.