Is Mozilla Firebird the Ultimate Solution to Annoying Popups and Spam?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various forms of spam and which ones have been the most effective. Some examples mentioned include pop up ads, emails from merchants, and fraudulent spam promising large sums of money. The conversation also touches on ways to combat spam, such as using Mozilla Firebird and a real mail server.
Loren Booda
To your knowledge, what has been the most effective spam in the history of the Internet?

Physics news on Phys.org
The popups that claim you have a virus...almost every computer "user" i know has clicked on these...

-Ty

The most effective against me has been the stuff I actually invited - not that I asked for spam, but that I dealt with the merchant and they sent me spam. It actually advertised something I was in the market to buy. I don't know if that qualifies as spam though.

Judging from what I receive, I would guess greeting cards and penis enlargement are the most effective spam areas against the general public. Perhaps combining the two would be very profitable. Happy Penis Enlargement Day everyone!

Njorl

PS - OT, but have you heard about the new extortion spam? People send you email saying they will download illicit material to your PC and call the authorities if you don't send them money. Ha!

most effective spam...well, i am not sure if this classifies as spam, but those damned pop up ads REALLY aggravate me...

I don't get spam

Personally for me, the spam from the King of Bantu telling me that I will receive 50 million dollars if I give him my entire life savings. It's good to know that there's still good samaritans out there.

I personally don't eat spam.

But why would you buy it over the internet when you can go to the supermarket?

Anybody listen to the Kojo Mnamdi show? He had his "Computer Guys" on yesterday. They were saying spam is here to stay. The only fight going on is between large established advertisers and ... well... people who want to be able to commit fraud. So far, the frauds are winning, but in the long run, I think the corporate giants will win.

It's like lions and hyenas fighting over a dead zebra. Whoever wins, the zebra is still dead.

Njorl

Use Mozilla Firebird, and you have no more popups or ads or flash animations.

Use a real mail server, and you have no more spam. Easy, really.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Use Mozilla Firebird, and you have no more popups or ads or flash animations.

Use a real mail server, and you have no more spam. Easy, really.

- Warren

:smile:

1. What makes a spam email effective?

An effective spam email is one that is able to successfully bypass spam filters and reach the intended recipients' inbox. It usually contains a catchy subject line, personalization, and a call to action that entices the recipient to click on a link or open an attachment.

2. How do spammers collect email addresses?

Spammers often use various methods to collect email addresses, such as purchasing lists from data brokers, using web crawlers to scan websites for email addresses, and using malware to harvest email addresses from infected computers.

3. Can effective spam emails be used for malicious purposes?

Yes, many spam emails are designed to trick recipients into revealing personal information, such as login credentials or credit card numbers. They may also contain links to malicious websites or malware that can harm a recipient's computer.

4. Are there any laws against sending spam emails?

Yes, there are laws in many countries, including the CAN-SPAM Act in the United States, that regulate the sending of spam emails. These laws require spammers to provide a way for recipients to opt out of receiving future emails and to accurately identify the sender and subject of the email.

5. How can I protect myself from receiving spam emails?

To protect yourself from receiving spam emails, you can use spam filters on your email account, avoid clicking on suspicious links or opening attachments from unknown senders, and never provide personal information in response to a spam email. It is also important to regularly update your computer's security software to prevent malware infections.