Static equilibrium helpprobably simple

In summary, the tension in the left and right strings is the same. The tension in the center string is different, but it doesn't matter because the center string is in equilibrium.
Juntao
I've added a picture.

The system shown to the right is in equilibrium with the center string exactly horizontal.
Mass # 1 = 42 kg.
Mass # 2 = 50 kg.
È = 31 degrees.
===========
A) Tension in left most string?
B) Tension in center string?
C) Tension in right string?
D) What is the angle Ö on the right string?

=======
a) Not too bad at all. Just did sin 31=(m1*g)/T1
T1=799.16N

b) Now I'm stuck. It probably is really easy, but I'm missing something. I drew the FBD, and so I got a force from m1 and m2 downwards, a T1 force to the left, and a T3 force to the right. But its not helping much, at least to me. Yes, its a static equilibrium equation, so sum of all forces in x and y and torques equal zero, but I don't know where to start correctly.

Attachments

• static1.gif
    static1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 619
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Juntao
b) ... Yes, its a static equilibrium equation, so sum of all forces in x and y and torques equal zero, but I don't know where to start correctly.
Start by considering the forces acting at the "knots" (the places where the strings tie together). For the left knot, setting vertical forces equal to zero is what gave you your first answer. So keep going! Set the horizontal forces to zero. Then do the same for the right knot.

Look at the node on the left side where the 3 strings meet. Summing the forces in the x-direction gives

[tex] T_1\cos\Theta = T_2 [/tex]

For the node on the right side,

[tex] T_2 = T_3\cos\Phi [/tex]

(And your other equation is [tex] T_3\sin\Phi = m_2g [/tex]. Combined with the other equation you have, that's 4 equations and 4 unknowns.)

hey you have to solve for one force then that would help you find the others. i am sort of busy but i will try my best.

t1 sin angle1 = m1 * g
t3 sin angle2 = m2 * g
t1 cos angle1 = t3 cos angle2 and this would be equal to the tension in t2.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no movement or acceleration of the object.

What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be zero and the net torque (rotational force) acting on the object must also be zero.

How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium involves no movement or acceleration, while dynamic equilibrium involves constant movement at a constant speed, with balanced forces and torques.

Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. Static equilibrium requires that the object is at rest.

How is static equilibrium used in real-life applications?

Static equilibrium is used in many real-life applications, such as building and bridge construction, weightlifting, and structural engineering. It is also important in the maintenance of posture and balance in the human body.