Potential difference problems

In summary, the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point halfway between the charges is .1855 V.
mustang
Problem 4.
Given: k_e=8.98755*10^9 nm^2/C^2 and g=9.8 m/s^2.
find the potential differnece between a point infinitely far away and a point 1.4 cm from a proton. Answer in units of V.
Note: I don't know where to start!

Problem 6.
Four particles with charges of 7.7 C, 4C, 3.3 C AND -5C ARE PLACED AT THE CORNERS of a (2.1m*2.1m) square.
Determine the potential difference between the center of the square and infinity. Answer in units of V.
Note: what formula should I use?

Problem 7.
An electron that is initially 57 cm away from a proton is displaced to another point.
If the change in the electrial potential energy as a result of this movement is 2.2*10^-28 J, what is the final distance between the electron and the proton? Answer in units of m.
Note: I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I don't know where to start!

Give the formula for Potential at a point due to a point charge

If you are not given a formula for potential energy due to a point source, you can find it by integrating the force function.

Set up a coordinates system with the proton at the origin. The force on a unit charge at distance r from the origin is
F= k/r2 (and has nothing to do with g)

The anti-derivative is -k/r + C. Taking C=0 gives potential 0 at infinity (which is standard and is what your problem asks. Finally, take r= 1.4 cm.

For problem 6, do the same thing with each of the 4 charges, using the distance from each charge to the center of the square as r.

For problem 7, find the integral from 57 cm to X cm, set it equal to the given potential change and solve for X.

Problem 6.

As you said,"do the same thing with each of the 4 charges, using the distance from each charge to the center of the square as r."
So you would use a^2+b^2=c^2 to find what r is? In addition, since to find r it seems to me that if i divide the square into four section each coming from one of the vertices and ending at the center; there would be 45/45/90 triangles and to find r would it just be 2.1/2=1.05=r. Right?

roblem 7.

What does integral mean in "find the integral from 57 cm to X cm"?

Problem 7 Answer!

This is what I did:
2.2*10^-28=(8.99*10^9)((1.6*10^-19)(-1.6*10^-19)/r)
2.2*10^-28r=(8.99*10^9)((1.6*10^-19)(-1.6*10^-19)
2.2*10^-28r=1.736174035*10^-28
r=1.267154073 or 1.3m
However, this answer was incorrect, what did I do wrong?

Two point charges

problem 5.
k_e=8.98755*10^9Nm^2/C^@ and g=9.8m/s^2.
Two point charges of magnitude 6.7c and -3.4c are separated by 37.1 cm.
what is the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point midway between the charges? answer in V.
Note: I would use potential difference formula where r= 0.371/2=.1855. Potential difference=k_c*(q/r)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit.

3. What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the movement of electric charges, such as electrons, from a higher potential energy to a lower potential energy.

4. How is potential difference related to current?

Potential difference and current are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in current, and vice versa.

5. What are some common applications of potential difference?

Potential difference is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, generators, and electrical outlets. It is also essential in powering electronic devices and providing electricity for homes and businesses.