How Many Air Molecules Did Sir Isaac Newton Breathe in His Lifetime?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
In summary: which is about 0.000000015 (15 billionth of 1%) of the total...would be 8.93 x 105/(4.08 x 1018) = 0.0000000236.
decibel
my teacher couldent even get the answer to this multiple choice question...could anyone at least attempt this thank you

For each breath that you take, how many of the air molecules would also been breathed by the patron saint of Physics, Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)during his life time, the atmosphere is about 8 km high, and the molecules in the air each occupy a space representing a little cubic box about 3.33*10^-9 m along a side, the Earth's radius is 6..38*10^6. make any reasonable assumptions for any data needed.

a) 6 b) 6*10^3 c) 6*10^6 d) 6*10^9 e) 6*10^12

Physics news on Phys.org
Boy that's a stupid question.

I'd first find out how many atoms (according to the information given) there are in the atmosphere, then find out how many days Newton lived, approximate how many breaths the average person makes in a day, and make the (very bad) assumption that you breathe different molecules each time. Assuming that a breath is about half a liter, you can guesstimate the percentage of molecules which Newton breathed in his lifetime.

You then have the fraction of each breath which was breathed by Newton (assuming perfect mixing).

I'm sure someone else will have a different take on it.

Lame question...

hmm...first of all it isent my question...its of the SIN test from the 2003 university of waterloo physics exam.

if u can't get the answer, u shouldent of replied...

am just curious of how to do it..so if anyone out there knows, i'd appreiciate it if u answerd this

if u can't get the answer, u shouldent of replied...
What a stupid thing to say. Enigma gave you a decent roadmap so that you could solve it yourself. Instead of b!tching, you might try "thank you."

Woah, settle down, guys. We don't need a virtual fight going on. Decibel, if a guy gives you some help, don't get really angry. Like you said, it was a hard question. A guy was throwing out some ideas on how to solve it. Every little bit helps.

well i dident mean it that way...he says "boy" then says whata stupid question, that kind of implies an insult to me...even though i dident think of the question...and i can't solve it myself cause am not as expeirenced in physics as some of the ppl here, and that is the reason i posted this in a forum

Newton had bad breath.

Doug

Originally posted by decibel
well i dident mean it that way...he says "boy" then says whata stupid question, that kind of implies an insult to me...

No insult intended to you! The person who wrote the question maybe, but certainly not you!

That's the problem with internet forums. You can't necessarily tell when a comment is dripping sarcasm.

:smile:

Sorry for any miscommunications. I was merely commenting that the problem, as stated, is impossible to solve unless you make mad-crazy assumptions, many of which are absolutely invalid in real life (like you can see from my parenthesis in the above post). Therefore, since the problem is so whacked, any answers you may get are equally whacked. Therefore, it's a stupid question for them to ask you.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it probably isn't a question where the answer matters, it's the steps you took to solve the problem that they care about. It's like in a job interview (for example) where they ask you on the spot: "How many quarters stacked end to end would be as tall as the Empire State Building?" They don't know the answer to the question, and they don't care. They want to see you go: "OK, a quarter is about a quarter inch long, so 4 would fit in an inch or 48 to a foot. The ESB I'm guessing is 100 stories, and I'll guess 10 feet to a story, therefore about 48,000 quarters." Whether you're in the right ballpark doesn't matter.

Last edited:
k well ur right enigma lots of assumptions but here's the answer

This is a Fermi type of problem, and you must supply reasonable numbers to get a rough answer! Answers are 3 orders of magnitude apart, so you can even afford to be sloppy! If each breath of Sir Isaac's (and ours) is about 1 litre = 10-3 m3, and they are 3 seconds apart, then in 1727-1642=85 years, he will have had 85 x 365 x 24 x 3600 /3 = 8.93 x 108 breaths, for a total volume of 8.93 x 105 m3. We will assume that the air mixes well enough that we do not have to worry about air being breathed twice.

The total volume of the atmosphere is 4 Re2 h, where Re is the Earth's radius, and h is the height of the atmosphere, giving 4.08 x 1018 m3. The fraction of air molecules ever breathed by the patron saint of Physics is thus 8.93 x 105 / 4.08 x 1018 = 2.19 x 10-13. The number of molecules in each breath of ours is the density 1/(3.3 x 10-9)3 = 2.78 x 1025 m-3, multiplied by the volume of each breath, 10-3 m3, or 2.78 x 1022 molecules. Multiplying by the fraction breathed by Newton, each breath of ours has about 6.08 x 109 molecules also breathed by him (D). Since we have about 9 x 108 breaths, each breath of ours has about 7 molecules also breathed by Isaac Newton.

WOW! I am impressed!
you must have a headache now!

I wouldn't have thought you'd need so much working out for a multiple choice question, that would basically take a lot of your short/long answer questions time away ;l

1. What makes a question the "hardest question ever"?

The difficulty of a question is subjective and can vary based on different factors such as the individual's knowledge, experience, and problem-solving skills. Therefore, what one person may consider the "hardest question ever" may not be the same for another person.

2. Is there a definitive answer to the "hardest question ever"?

It depends on the question itself. Some questions may have a clear and definitive answer, while others may have multiple possible answers or no answer at all. The level of complexity and subjectivity of the question can also affect the possibility of a definitive answer.

3. Can the "hardest question ever" be solved?

Again, it depends on the question. Some questions may have a solution that can be reached through logical reasoning and scientific methods. However, there may also be questions that are unsolvable due to their nature or limitations of human understanding.

4. Are there any strategies for approaching the "hardest question ever"?

Yes, there are various problem-solving techniques and critical thinking skills that can be applied to difficult questions. These include breaking down the question into smaller parts, considering different perspectives and assumptions, and using evidence and reasoning to support your answer.

5. Can the "hardest question ever" have different answers?

As mentioned before, the difficulty and subjectivity of a question can result in different answers from different individuals. Additionally, some questions may have multiple valid answers or no single correct answer. It is important to critically evaluate and justify your answer in these cases.