Understanding the Concept of Absolute in Physics: Is Perfection a Requirement?

In summary, when something is said to be absolute in physics, it means that it remains unchanged under transformation. This usually refers to basic transformations such as translation, rotation, and scaling. However, the context of the term is important as it can have different meanings in different concepts, such as in the examples of absolute temperature and absolute value. In general, the concept of symmetry is closely related to the idea of absoluteness in physics, as it allows for the measurement of invariant systems. It is also important to consider the limitations and abilities of the researcher in any research involving the concept of absolute.
Antonio Lao
In physics, when we say that something is absolute does this means that the something is perfect? Something is total? Something is a quantum? Something is a constant? Something is unchanging? Something is motionless? Something is eternal?

Physics news on Phys.org
When something is said to be absolute it usually means it remains the same under transformation.

jcsd,

I know of three basic transformations: translation, rotation and scaling. Do you mean all of these and some more that I don't know about?

I'm not sure if 'absolute' means much without defining it in the current context. For instance, does "absolute temperature" relate in any way to "absolute value"?

Matt

I think that Symmetry is the main concept that is related to your questions.

If we want to get some useful information out of our explored system, we also need some invariant system (some law) which is related to the measured system.

But, in my opinion, any research must include also our own abilities to research as a legal part of any research.

I'm with baffledMatt. I think the concept of "absolute" needs a context to be properly understood. Absolute space and absolute time are other two examples that have little to do with "absolute temperature" and "absolute value".

jcsd said:
When something is said to be absolute it usually means it remains the same under transformation.

Your statement is clear enough , but does it include perturbations to the "absolute" during transformation yet completing the transformaion in an invariant state?

Thanks.

1. What does "absolute" mean in scientific terms?

In science, "absolute" refers to a measurement or value that is free from any external influence or error. It is considered to be the most accurate and precise measurement possible.

2. Is absolute the same as relative in science?

No, absolute and relative are not the same in science. Relative measurements are dependent on external factors, while absolute measurements are independent and do not change.

3. How is absolute used in scientific experiments?

Absolute values are often used as a reference point or standard in scientific experiments. They can help researchers determine the accuracy and validity of their results.

4. Can absolute values change over time?

No, absolute values do not change over time. They are considered to be constant and unchanging, making them a reliable measure for comparison.

5. What are some common examples of absolute values in science?

Examples of absolute values in science include absolute zero, the speed of light, and the Avogadro constant. These values are considered to be universal constants and do not change under any circumstances.