What are the reactions to the U.S. security measures for foreign visitors?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary: Basically, they want to make sure you are who you say you are. In summary, reactions are mixed to the new U.S. security measures of photographing and fingerprinting foreign visitors at airports. While some travelers criticized the policy, others accepted the need for tighter security. Brazil has responded by implementing similar measures for arriving Americans, causing delays of up to nine hours. Many Mexican travelers also expressed inconvenience, but were willing to comply for the sake of safety. Critics see the measures as discriminatory and a violation of civil rights, but others argue that it is no different from the process of obtaining a driver's license. Overall, opinions are divided on the effectiveness and necessity of the new security measures.
Adam
International News - January 5, 2004
Reactions Mixed to U.S. Security Measures

January 5, 2004 07:14 PM EST

MEXICO CITY - Travelers criticized a new U.S. policy of photographing and fingerprinting foreign visitors as heavy-handed, but some voiced grudging acceptance Monday of the need for tighter security. Officials began scanning fingerprints and taking photographs of foreigners arriving at U.S. airports Monday as part of a new program to keep out terrorists.

In retaliation, Brazil's Foreign Ministry started fingerprinting and photographing arriving Americans last week. U.S. citizens waited for hours Monday to be photographed and fingerprinted at Rio's international airport.

"As far as reciprocity, Brazil has every right to do this," said Claire Fallender, a 27-year-old American sociologist from Boston, who said she had been waiting for five hours. "The only problem is without the technology to process people, it's causing frustration and losing the point of protesting American policy."

The U.S. Embassy in Brazil issued a statement Monday night expressing regret that American citizens were being singled out at Brazilian airports.

"While we acknowledge Brazil's sovereign right to determine the requirements for entry into Brazil, we regret the way in which new procedures have suddenly been put in place that single out U.S. citizens for exceptional treatment that has meant lengthy delays in processing, such as the case today with a more than nine hour delay for some U.S. citizens," said the statement signed by embassy press attache Wesley Carrington.

The statement added that the new U.S. policy is applied to citizens from more than 150 countries where visas are required to enter the United States - and not just Brazilians.

At the airport in Mexico City, Mexicans returning to the United States arrived up to six hours before their flights were scheduled to take off Monday. Many said the new measures were inconvenient, but most appeared to be moving through security and check-ins with few delays.

"I think it is a little much," said Constanza Carrillo, a 30-year-old computer software technician who lives in Denver. "But if it feels safer for the government of the United States and for Americans, we don't have a problem with it."

Victor Fuentes, an 18-year-old Mexican returning to the United States to study at a high school in Chicago, said more security was better than less. "It's fine with me because it is for the safety of everyone," he said.

Last week, two Aeromexico flights to Los Angeles were canceled after U.S. officials reported possible security concerns. Agents at U.S. border crossings won't begin fingerprinting and photographing travelers until later this year.

The new U.S. program targets foreigners entering the 115 U.S. airports that handle international flights, as well as 14 major seaports. Excepted are visitors from 27 countries - mostly European nations - whose citizens are allowed to come to the United States for up to 90 days without visas.

Osinachi Agwu, a 30-year-old banker in Lagos, Nigeria, said the measures were "a tool of discrimination against the non-European races."

Idris Mohammed, 46, a computer analyst in Lagos, said traveling to the United States would "never again be the pleasure it used to be."

"Though I bear a Muslim-sounding name, I'm actually a Christian," he said. "But you can visualize me visiting the U.S. and waiting with trepidation to be fingerprinted and photographed, afraid the computer may raise an alarm on finding a like name on the terror suspects' list."

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always been a vocal opponent of the patriot act and other infringements upon civil rights and liberties, but I think that complaining about this is too much. I don't have a problem with it.

I wish to visit friends in the USA soon. I have no desire to be fingerprinted, photographed, databased, and in general treated like a criminal.

Originally posted by Adam
I wish to visit friends in the USA soon. I have no desire to be fingerprinted, photographed, databased, and in general treated like a criminal.

Other countries are talking abotu responding with pics and prints of American citizens - I can't wait! I don't really mind at all :) Make it inkless, and no problem.

Passports used to have finger prints with them,and they still carry a photo ID.

""As far as reciprocity, Brazil has every right to do this," said Claire Fallender, a 27-year-old American sociologist from Boston, who said she had been waiting for five hours. "The only problem is without the technology to process people, it's causing frustration and losing the point of protesting American policy."

Yeah, inkless and digital cams - 10 seconds added on to your trip, big deal!
Ink me up, regular cameras,?? 9 hours delay in Brazil? Not exactly apples to apples here.

I personally think the whole idea is a waste of money, and should be better handled via smart card technologies, and the like, but of course that has it's opponents to. Can't make everyone happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

You mean like you do everytime you get a driver's license?

You have to look on the bright side: this could certainly cut down on false accusations based on a similarity in names.

Originally posted by phatmonky

They do all that for driving permits in your country?

What country do you live in?

They do all that for driving permits in your country?

excuse me, I guess my foot is in my mouth.

Originally posted by Zero
What country do you live in?

USA - But more importantly what state do I live in, since that is where they are dictated ;)

Texas, and yes this is the process by which you get a license. Picture digitally for your license, and a inkless thumbprint.

excuse me, I guess my foot is in my mouth.

USA - But more importantly what state do I live in, since that is where they are dictated ;)

Texas, and yes this is the process by which you get a license. Picture digitally for your license, and a inkless thumbprint.
Thanks for clarifying!

Last time I renewed my permit, I went in, got a photo taken for the new card, signed something so they could put my signature on the card, and handed in my old permit.

Last time I renewed my permit, I went in, got a photo taken for the new card, signed something so they could put my signature on the card, and handed in my old permit.

That's the way it used to be here, but there was too much corruption with it. (fake ID's and all)
The fingerprint can be checked against existing in the database so you can't have multiple ID's, and upon an arrest it can be found out if your ID is really yours, or not.

What is Traveler Reciprocity?

Traveler Reciprocity refers to the concept of mutual benefits and obligations between travelers and the communities they visit. It recognizes that travelers have an impact on the places they visit and encourages responsible travel practices.

Why is Traveler Reciprocity important?

Traveler Reciprocity is important because it promotes a more sustainable and ethical approach to travel. It encourages travelers to be mindful of their impact on the environment, local cultures, and economies, and to take steps to minimize any negative effects.

How can travelers practice Traveler Reciprocity?

Travelers can practice Traveler Reciprocity by being respectful of the local customs and cultures, supporting local businesses and economies, and minimizing their environmental impact. This can include things like reducing plastic waste, respecting wildlife and natural habitats, and supporting sustainable tourism initiatives.

What are some benefits of Traveler Reciprocity for travelers?

Some benefits of Traveler Reciprocity for travelers include a more authentic and meaningful travel experience, a sense of personal fulfillment and responsibility, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on the places they visit. It can also lead to more sustainable and responsible tourism practices, which can benefit both travelers and the communities they visit in the long run.

What are some benefits of Traveler Reciprocity for local communities?

Some benefits of Traveler Reciprocity for local communities include economic growth and development, preservation of cultural traditions and heritage, and a more sustainable and responsible tourism industry. When travelers practice Traveler Reciprocity, they can help support and empower local communities, rather than exploiting or damaging them.