Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Physics Mechanics- friction

Shah 72

Apr 14, 2021
A gardener is pulling a wheelbarrow of mass 8kg from rest along rough horizontal ground. The coefficient of friction between the wheelbarrow and the ground is 0.6. The gardener provides a force of 50N at an angle of 30 degree above the horizontal as shown in the diagram.
a) Find the acceleration of the wheelbarrow
I got the ans for this a = 1.29m/s^2
b) what happens when the wheelbarrow had 20kg of soil in it and the gardener exerts the same force at the same angle?
I don't understand how to solve this.

Shah 72

Apr 14, 2021
A gardener is pulling a wheelbarrow of mass 8kg from rest along rough horizontal ground. The coefficient of friction between the wheelbarrow and the ground is 0.6. The gardener provides a force of 50N at an angle of 30 degree above the horizontal as shown in the diagram.
a) Find the acceleration of the wheelbarrow
I got the ans for this a = 1.29m/s^2
b) what happens when the wheelbarrow had 20kg of soil in it and the gardener exerts the same force at the same angle?
I don't understand how to solve this.

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
mass of the wheelbarrow is now 8+20 = 28 kg

normal force increases $\implies$ friction force will increase

compare the updated friction force to the horizontal component of the applied 50N force

Shah 72

Apr 14, 2021
mass of the wheelbarrow is now 8+20 = 28 kg

normal force increases $\implies$ friction force will increase

compare the updated friction force to the horizontal component of the applied 50N force
Thank you. So the new contact force =255N and friction is 153N. By using F=m×a, 50cos30-153=28a, I get a=-3.92m/s^2. So since the acceleration is negative the wheel barrow doesn't move. Is this reasoning correct?

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
There is no acceleration ... the horizontal component of the applied force is not great enough to overcome the maximum force of friction.

Shah 72

Apr 14, 2021
There is no acceleration ... the horizontal component of the applied force is not great enough to overcome the maximum force of friction.
Thank you !