Having difficulty with this Oscillation problem

In summary, the question is asking for the frequency of oscillation of a uniform meter stick that is pivoted at one end and held horizontal by a spring attached at the other end. The length of the stick is one meter and the spring constant is denoted by k. The solution involves using a torque equation at the hinge and considering pure vertical displacement. The moment of inertia about the hinge is calculated to be 1/3 of ML^2 and the resulting equation for frequency is f = sqrt(3k/M) / pi. The weight of the meter stick is ignored in the equation.
Theelectricchild
This question is quite interesting:

A uniform meter stick of mass M is pivoted on a hinge at one end and held horizontal by a spring with spring constant k attached at the other end. If the stick oscillates up and down slightly, what is it's frequency? The length of the stick is one meter.

My thoughts: I believe I should write a torque equation about the hinge, but I am having difficulty doing that--- any suggestions?

Also and I f=[(k/M)^.5]/2pi but the back of the book has 3k where I have k. I don't understand how they get this. Thanks a lot for your help!

Also if you need a picture ill be happy to draw one out --- thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, as the rod rotates an angle [tex]\phi[/tex] about the hinge, there is a slight horizontal displacement of the rod (and spring) as well.
In the following, I neglect this displacement component, and model the problem with a pure vertical displacement.
If the displacement angle is [tex]\phi[/tex] then the associated vertical displacement of the tip of the rod (fixed to the spring) is [tex]L\phi[/tex] where L is the length of the rod (to the order of accuracy indicated).

The moment of inertia about the hinge must be: [tex]I=\frac{ML^{2}}{12}[/tex]
We gain thus:
[tex]kL^{2}\phi+\frac{ML^{2}}{12}\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dt^{2}}=0\to\omega^{2}=12\frac{k}{M}[/tex]

Since [tex]f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}[/tex] we have:
[tex]f=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{3k}{M}}}{\pi}[/tex]

The factor 2 in the denominator in the book is wrong.

Ahh thank you much I understand all--- I know it's essential to solve the problem but WHY exactly do we use the [tex]kL^{2}\phi[/tex] ?--- or I should ask--- why is it "squared"? I am always quite good at solving and getting the correct answer, but not understanding why equations work can be quite annoying.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Uh oh i may have found a problem:

if you're just using (1/12)M*L^2, wouldn't you be saying that the axis of rotation WAS at the hinge which is at the END of the rod because you're using L which is the length of the rod? so wouldn't you use the (1/3)M*L^2? can you explain this one to me, ald.?

Interesting because if we use 1/3 then we end up getting the answer in the back which COULD be right?

Thanks!

In vector form, the spring force is [tex]\vec{F}=-kL\phi\vec{j}[/tex]
The arm from the hinge to the tip is, to same order of accuracy: [tex]\vec{r}=L\vec{i}[/tex]

Hence, we get the torque:[tex]\vec{r}\times\vec{F}=-kL^{2}\phi\vec{k}[/tex]

Theelectricchild said:
Uh oh i may have found a problem:

if you're just using (1/12)M*L^2, wouldn't you be saying that the axis of rotation WAS at the hinge which is at the END of the rod because you're using L which is the length of the rod? so wouldn't you use the (1/3)M*L^2? can you explain this one to me, ald.?

Interesting because if we use 1/3 then we end up getting the answer in the back which COULD be right?

Thanks!

You're right! Of course it should be 1/3 rather than 1/12. Sorry for that

Ahh thanks again! You help people out so much on this site and I do appreciate that.

I'm solving this exact same problem at the moment. Question: Why is the weight of the meter stick being ignored in the torque equation. Shouldn't the torque equation be:

[tex]\tau = -\frac{1}{2}LMg - kL^2\phi[/tex]

At a glance, I believe you're right.
Anyways (as I'm sure you're aware of), this wouldn't affect the frequency (which is what they want)

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem is a scientific term used to describe a situation where a system or object repeatedly moves back and forth between two points or states. It can also refer to a problem or difficulty in finding a solution or stability in a system.

2. What causes oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, changes in energy or mass, or feedback loops within a system. They can also arise from imperfect conditions or imbalances in a system.

3. How can oscillation problems be solved?

The solution to an oscillation problem depends on the specific cause and nature of the problem. It may involve adjusting external forces, changing parameters within a system, or implementing control mechanisms to stabilize the system. In some cases, it may also require identifying and addressing underlying issues or imbalances within the system.

4. Are oscillation problems common in science?

Yes, oscillation problems are common in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They can occur in natural systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, as well as in man-made systems, such as electronic circuits or chemical reactions.

5. Can oscillation problems have practical applications?

Yes, oscillation problems can have both practical and theoretical applications. For example, the study of oscillatory behavior can help us understand and predict natural phenomena, such as weather patterns or biological rhythms. In engineering, controlling and manipulating oscillations can be crucial for the design and functioning of various technologies, such as sensors, actuators, and communication systems.