Last Emperor of China: Epic Movie & Mysterious Life

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary, the conversation discusses a movie about the last emperor of China, who was crowned at the age of three and grew up in the Forbidden City. The conversation also touches on the history of the Forbidden City, its current state, and its popularity as a tourist attraction. There is also mention of another movie, "Empire of the Sun," and some personal experiences with the Forbidden City.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did anyone ever watch that epic movie? It lasts for 4 hours or so, but the story is really compelling.

He was crowned emperor of China, being only three years old. He grew up in the Forbidden City, but somehow China was reformed during that time. He never left the Forbidden City, until he was forced out by an army at age 18. After that he became the puppet of the Japanese, finally this last emperor ended up as a garden keeper.

The whole idea of a Forbidden City and not being allowed to venture outside is really mystical, also growing up to be the ruler of a country, thinking everyone is in your control is weird too.

How old was that Forbidden City? no man was allowed to stay inside unless they were castrated..

Physics news on Phys.org
It was one of my favorites. It inspired in me an interest in Chinese history. I don't know how accurate it was, but it did a good job of portraying China's development reflected in one man. There is almost no discussion of world affairs, but it is all there anyway in Pu Yi's life.

Njorl

Did anyone see empire of the sun? that was an excellent movie too.

Originally posted by Monique
Did anyone ever watch that epic movie? It lasts for 4 hours or so, but the story is really compelling.

He was crowned emperor of China, being only three years old. He grew up in the Forbidden City, but somehow China was reformed during that time. He never left the Forbidden City, until he was forced out by an army at age 18. After that he became the puppet of the Japanese, finally this last emperor ended up as a garden keeper.

The whole idea of a Forbidden City and not being allowed to venture outside is really mystical, also growing up to be the ruler of a country, thinking everyone is in your control is weird too.

How old was that Forbidden City? no man was allowed to stay inside unless they were castrated..

I saw the movie, it was a nice documentary movie, but more in a dramatic way.

The main msg of the film was that the last emperor was a playboy and borned in the wrong place, wrong time.

There are many emperors in Chinese history like him, as you know, emperors usually have 20 sons or more, and is hard to pick the successor because many are playboys who have 3 or 4 wives.

The Forbiton City is probably 3000 years old, more than 10000 rooms i think, very big...

The Last Emperor ended up learning his lesson the wrong way... died in 1950s i think.

The movie probably was a little over exaggerated about the emperor touching and feeding on any woman's breasts as he wish.

-- more info msg me on AIM.

One of our favorites; an excellent movie!

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
The Forbiton City is probably 3000 years old, more than 10000 rooms i think, very big...

3000 years is pretty old but I saw some pictures of it and it seemed in a very good state? You must've been there, is there a lot of relics still inside, are the rooms decorated really nicely, is it a good place to visit, or did they put everything into museums?

I've been in Beijing for six months and I haven't set my foot into Forbidden city. People are amazed that I wasn't interested in a place they considered a big tourist attraction. But I'm planning to pay a visit sometime. I came pass the palace occasionally and I'm confuse with the Tian-an Ming square(temple of heaven?). Are Forbidden city and Tianan Ming the same?

I've been in Beijing for six months and I haven't set my foot into Forbidden city.

I did, and it was boring. All the rooms looked the same and i didn't like the architecture. I was more interested in chatting with my friends, chewing gum and playing with those concrete slopes that were beside the stairs.

Its sad that PuYie was elected as Emperor at the age of 3. Honestly now is their any common sense on how a three year old can dictate and run a country at that age?

Originally posted by Jeebus
Its sad that PuYie was elected as Emperor at the age of 3. Honestly now is their any common sense on how a three year old can dictate and run a country at that age?

By that time the emperor was just a figurehead.

Also, It is doubtful the Forbidden city is anywhere near 3000 years old. It is almost certainly less than 1000. Beijing was not the capital until the Yuan Dynasty I believe.

Njorl

Editted to add - Forbidden city was remade in early 15th century. There had been several different buildings called the forbidden city, some in distant locations.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dal
I've been in Beijing for six months and I haven't set my foot into Forbidden city. People are amazed that I wasn't interested in a place they considered a big tourist attraction. But I'm planning to pay a visit sometime. I came pass the palace occasionally and I'm confuse with the Tian-an Ming square(temple of heaven?). Are Forbidden city and Tianan Ming the same?

Forbidden City is Gu Gong, Tianan Men is the largest square in the world, inside is the formal working place for Mao Zedong.

Originally posted by Monique

3000 years is pretty old but I saw some pictures of it and it seemed in a very good state? You must've been there, is there a lot of relics still inside, are the rooms decorated really nicely, is it a good place to visit, or did they put everything into museums?

Is beautiful, a must visit, is a good chance in 2008 because Olympics is in Beijing.

Originally posted by Jeebus
PuYie was born to be an Emperor, not because he was elected. His father was an emperer, so was his grandfather, grandgrandfather, and so on. Throughout the history of China, there were several kids who became Emperors of the whole country, just because they were born to be. Sometimes, experienced relatives of those kid emperors might help to govern the country until the kid emperor grew up.

The Forbiton City is probably 3000 years old

Now you're just talking nonsense, Qing dynasty started in 1644, and Ming dynasty started in 1368, as the imperial palace, it can't be more than 600 years old. In fact, the Forbidden city was built in 1625, or sometime around it, I don't remember exactly.

You need to refresh your history knowledge.

Originally posted by fffbone
Now you're just talking nonsense, Qing dynasty started in 1644, and Ming dynasty started in 1368, as the imperial palace, it can't be more than 600 years old. In fact, the Forbidden city was built in 1625, or sometime around it, I don't remember exactly.

That is true. I think his confusion stems from the fact that there were other palaces known as the forbidden city. Further confusing things, one, long before the present one was built, stood on the site of the present Forbidden city.

Njorl

Originally posted by fffbone

U talking nonsense; the forbiddon city was remodeled a few hundred years ago.

Beijing had not been the capital of China before the Yuan dynasty (the mongol rulers), except for a brief period in the 3rd century. The Mongol rulers had built an elaborate concentration of villas in Beijing, owned by the powerful allies of the Khan. When they became weak, the Chinese revolted and drove them out, founding the Ming Dynasty. The first Ming ruler demolished the Mongol villas, and built a single, monumental palace - the Forbidden City. I believe it was done in the 1370's.

Njorl

U talking nonsense; the forbiddon city was remodeled a few hundred years ago.

It was indeed remodeled a few hundred years ago.

But it is definitely not built 3000 years ago, I believe that is almost 800 years before the Qin dynasty (the first Chinese dynasty). Meaning there weren't even any Emperors at the time. Check yourself, don't get too assertive.

1. Who was the Last Emperor of China?

The Last Emperor of China, also known as Puyi, was the final monarch of the Qing dynasty and the last emperor of China. He ascended the throne at the age of three and ruled from 1908 to 1912, when the Qing dynasty was overthrown. He briefly regained power in 1917, but was forced to abdicate again in 1924. Puyi's life is the subject of the epic movie "The Last Emperor".

2. What is the historical significance of the Last Emperor of China?

The Last Emperor of China holds great historical significance as he was the final emperor of the Qing dynasty, which ruled China for over 250 years. He also witnessed the fall of the imperial system in China and the rise of the Republic of China. Puyi's life and reign offer a unique perspective on the tumultuous events that shaped China in the 20th century.

3. What is the plot of the movie "The Last Emperor"?

"The Last Emperor" is an epic biographical drama that follows the life of Puyi, the last emperor of China. The movie chronicles his early life as a child emperor, his tumultuous reign, and his eventual downfall and exile. It also explores his transformation from an arrogant ruler to a humble citizen. The movie is known for its stunning visuals and accurate portrayal of historical events.

4. Is "The Last Emperor" historically accurate?

The movie "The Last Emperor" is largely based on Puyi's memoirs, as well as historical records and accounts from people who knew him. However, some scenes and characters are fictionalized for dramatic purposes. Overall, the movie is considered to be historically accurate and offers valuable insights into the life of the last emperor of China.

5. What is the controversy surrounding Puyi's life?

There are several controversies surrounding Puyi's life, including his association with the Japanese during World War II and his role as a puppet emperor under their occupation. There are also debates over his true intentions and loyalty to China during his reign. Puyi's life remains mysterious and continues to spark debates and discussions among historians and scholars.