Mechanics, First year university Physics

In summary, a space traveller on a small planet with a circumference of 12,500 km released a hammer and a table tennis ball from a height of 1.6 m and timed their fall to be 0.66 s. Using the equations for distance, volume, and circumference, the radius of the planet was determined to be 1989 km and the volume to be 3.30*10^10 km^3. The acceleration due to gravity was calculated to be 7.35 m/s^2. The density of the planet can be determined using the formula ρ=m/V, and the mass can be found using Newton's law of gravitation. It can be concluded that the planet has a dense atmosphere due
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

A space traveller lands on a small planet whose circumference is 12,500 km. He releases a hammer and a table tennis ball simultaneously from rest and from a height of 1.6 m, timing their fall to take 0.66 s. Determine the density of the planet. What can you conclude about its atmosphere?

Homework Equations

[itex]x = \frac{1}{2} \gamma t^2[/itex]
[itex]Vsphere =\frac{4}{3} \π r3[/itex]
Circumference = [itex]2 \pi r[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]r = \frac{12,500}{2 \pi } = 1989 km[/itex]
[itex]Vsphere = \frac{4}{3} \pi r3 = 3.30*1010 km3[/itex]
[itex] \gamma = \frac{2x}{t^2} = \frac{3.2}{0.66^2} = 7.35 m.s-2[/itex]

Since the density [itex]ρ=m/V[/itex], is there a way to determine the mass of the planet with the acceleration due to gravity, to then figure out the density with the formula?
Thanks for the help !
Also...a bit of help with LaTeX please !

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about Newton's law of gravitation and how one can determine "g" from it.

For LaTeX, I'd suggest using the more convenient "##" tags to surround the expressions rather than the "itex" ones. And don't embed other bb code tags inside LaTeX expressions (i.e., don't use the x2 or x2 icons to form super- or subscripts. Instead use the LaTeX syntax).

thanks ! I think I have worked it out.
Will use Newton's law of gravitation to work out M and then work out the density from that.

gneill said:
don't embed other bb code tags inside LaTeX expressions (i.e., don't use the x2 or x2 icons to form super- or subscripts. Instead use the LaTeX syntax).
Also, make sure there are no bold or italics inside. This can be tricky because you don't necessarily see it. What looks like regular text can include (in the html, I guess) start and end controls for italics ("em") with no text between them. If that ends up inside the LaTeX delimiters, the LaTeX processor gives up. This problem arises when text is pasted in from somewhere else.

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
Also, make sure there are no bold or italics inside. This can be tricky because you don't necessarily see it. What looks like regular text can include (in the html, I guess) start and end controls for italics ("em") with no text between them. If that ends up inside the LaTeX delimiters, the LaTeX processor gives up. This problem arises when text is pasted in from somewhere else.
Yes, those are very good hints! Thanks for that, I hadn't considered the surprises hiding in cut&paste objects.

Thanks guys I'll keep this advice in mind and try to make a more legible post next time because I am aware of how tiresome it is trying to read the equations otherwise!

Related to Mechanics, First year university Physics

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without taking into account the causes of that motion, such as forces. Dynamics, on the other hand, is the study of the forces that cause motion and how they affect the motion of objects.

2. What is the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position is the location of an object in space. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, acceleration is the second derivative of position with respect to time.

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does mass differ from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, regardless of location, while weight may vary depending on the strength of gravity.

5. How can the principle of conservation of energy be applied to problems in mechanics?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In mechanics, this can be applied to solve problems involving the transfer of kinetic energy, potential energy, and work done by forces.