Mechanics: Cylinder rolling up a step without slipping

In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the conditions for a uniform cylinder to continue rolling past a step with positive kinetic energy. The equations for total kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy are given, and the requirement for the initial speed is determined to be v > 2 \sqrt{ \frac{gb}{3}}. The equation for the cylinder not slipping is also used in the solution.
iopmar06

Homework Statement

A uniform cylinder of radius R, length L and density [tex]\delta[/tex] is rolling without slipping along a horizontal surface with constant centre of mass speed u at A. It then meets a step of height b. We wish to find the conditions under which the cylinder is able to continue past the step and roll along the surface B.

Untitled.jpg

Assuming no energy is lost due to friction or drag, the change in the total kinetic energy before and after must be equal and opposite to the change in gravitational potential energy. Find a requirement on the initial speed u such that the cylinder passes B with positive kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

As the disc is rolling without slipping it is possible to use [tex]v = \omegaR[/tex].

The total kinetic energy is given by

[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}mx^2 [/tex]

where

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2 [/tex]

and gravitational potential is given by [tex]mgh[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

You are told in the question that [tex] \Delta K = -\Delta P[/tex]

The change in kinetic energy will be negative and thus the change in potential will be positive. I want the final kinetic energy to be positive thus

[tex]K > |\Delta K|[/tex].

That's about as far as I have gotten. Any tips on how to get started will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if [tex]\alpha[/tex] is significant or not (the [tex]\alpha[/tex] on the diagram, not the angular acceleration).

NB: Sorry about my equations, I'm still trying to get used to using LaTeX.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF iopmar06,

Thanks for taking the time to properly layout your question.

iopmar06 said:
The total kinetic energy is given by

[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}mx^2 [/tex]

where

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2 [/tex]
Good. Now using these equations can you explicitly write an expression for the total kinetic energy of the cylinder before the step, using the information given in the question?

Can you also write an expression for the change in potential energy of the cylinder, again using the variables you are given in the question?

I think I may have worked it out.

Kinetic Energy is given by:

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2

= \frac{1}{2} (\frac{1}{2} m R^2) \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} mv^2 [/tex]

Then:

[tex] \Delta P = mg \Delta h = mga [/tex]

[tex] \Delta K = - \Delta P = -mga [/tex]

We want the kinetic energy of the cylinder rolling along B to be positive so

[tex] \frac{1}{4} mr^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 -mga > 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2 > mga - \frac{1}{4} mr^2 \omega^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2 > 2ga - \frac{(r \omega)^2}{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
So then the condition on the initial velocity is:

[tex]v > \sqrt{2ga - \frac{(r \omega)^2}{2}} [/tex]

iopmar06 said:
I think I may have worked it out.

Kinetic Energy is given by:

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2

= \frac{1}{2} (\frac{1}{2} m R^2) \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} mv^2 [/tex]

Then:

[tex] \Delta P = mg \Delta h = mga [/tex][tex] \Delta K = - \Delta P = -mga [/tex]

We want the kinetic energy of the cylinder rolling along B to be positive so

[tex] \frac{1}{4} mr^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 -mga > 0[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2 > mga - \frac{1}{4} mr^2 \omega^2[/tex][tex]v^2 > 2ga - \frac{(r \omega)^2}{2} [/tex]
Looks good so far :approve:. However, you are not given [itex]\omega[/itex] explicitly. Therefore, you need to express the angular velocity in terms of the quantities that you are given (HINT: There are still a few pieces of information you haven't used, but you only need one of them).

Last edited:
That completely slipped my mind, thanks for pointing it out.

The cylinder is not slipping so

[tex]v = \omega r[/tex]

Substituting this into the inequality gives

[tex]v^2 > 2ga - \frac{1}{2} (r \frac{v}{r})^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2 > \frac{4ga}{3}[/tex]

so

[tex]v > 2 \sqrt{ \frac{ga}{3}}[/tex]

iopmar06 said:
That completely slipped my mind, thanks for pointing it out.

The cylinder is not slipping so

[tex]v = \omega r[/tex]

Substituting this into the inequality gives

[tex]v^2 > 2ga - \frac{1}{2} (r \frac{v}{r})^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2 > \frac{4ga}{3}[/tex]

so

[tex]v > 2 \sqrt{ \frac{ga}{3}}[/tex]
Not a problem. Looks good to me :approve:. However, as a minor point don't forget that you are asked to find a condition for u and not v.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm just in the habit of using v for velocity.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help.

iopmar06 said:
Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help.
A pleasure.

The "a" in my answer should be a "b". I didn't look at the diagram properly.

Related to Mechanics: Cylinder rolling up a step without slipping

1. How does a cylinder roll up a step without slipping?

A cylinder rolls up a step without slipping because of the frictional force between the cylinder and the step. As the cylinder moves up the step, the bottom of the cylinder experiences a force of static friction in the opposite direction of its motion, which prevents slipping.

2. What factors affect the ability of a cylinder to roll up a step without slipping?

The factors that affect the ability of a cylinder to roll up a step without slipping include the radius of the cylinder, the angle of the step, and the coefficient of static friction between the cylinder and the step.

3. How is the velocity of the cylinder affected as it rolls up a step without slipping?

The velocity of the cylinder remains constant as it rolls up a step without slipping. This is because the frictional force only affects the rotation of the cylinder, not its linear motion.

4. What is the difference between rolling with slipping and rolling without slipping?

Rolling with slipping refers to a situation where the bottom of the cylinder is sliding on the surface, resulting in a loss of energy due to kinetic friction. Rolling without slipping, on the other hand, means that the cylinder is rotating without any sliding, resulting in a conservation of energy.

5. Can a cylinder roll up an incline without slipping?

Yes, a cylinder can roll up an incline without slipping as long as the angle of the incline is not too steep and the coefficient of static friction is high enough to prevent slipping. This is similar to the concept of rolling up a step without slipping.