Water resistance problem, HELP

In summary, the problem is to determine the deceleration and depth of an object falling into water given its initial velocity when striking the water and the fact that it comes to rest in the water. The equations F.t= m(Vt-Vo) and v(t)= v0- at can be used to solve the problem by finding the average velocity and using it to calculate the time and distance the object falls. If the depth is known, the deceleration can be determined. If the deceleration is known, the depth can be calculated.
lalapsambel
Here's my problem:
I have to find how much deceleration & how deep it will be when something fall into the water, but I just have the Vo when it strikes the water and of course Vt which is 0. I don't know how can I measure its deceleration underwater. OK, actually I just want to know how much force that the water gives when this thing strikes the water. So, I want to combine the equation F.t= m(Vt-Vo). Can I use that? But I have to get either the time and I'll use Vt=0, or the Vt and I'll use the time = 0.01 s, so it's just instanteous velocity.

What equation should I use? Please help me, it's a part of my project and if I can't solve this problem, it mean I should change the whole project!

Physics news on Phys.org
For any constant acceleration, you can treat "average" as (v0+v1)/2 - i.e. the average of the initial and final speeds. Here, v1= 0 so the average velocity is v0/2.

Decelerating at constant acceleration, -a, v(t)= v0- at so v(t)= 0 when v0- at= 0 or t= v0/a. The distance the object falls in that time is (v0/2)(v0/a)= v02/2a.

If you know the initial velocity v0 and depth d, then
d= v02/2a so a= v02/2d.

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with this water resistance problem. It can be challenging to calculate the deceleration and depth of an object falling into water without all the necessary information. However, there are a few things you can consider to help you solve this problem.

First, it's important to note that the equation you mentioned, F.t= m(Vt-Vo), is not the correct one to use in this situation. This equation is used to calculate the impulse, or change in momentum, of an object. It does not take into account the force of water resistance.

To calculate the force of water resistance, you can use the equation F = 1/2 * ρ * A * Cd * v^2, where ρ is the density of water, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object. This equation will give you the force of water resistance acting on the object at a particular velocity.

To find the deceleration of the object, you can use the equation a = F/m, where F is the force of water resistance and m is the mass of the object. This will give you the deceleration of the object as it falls into the water.

As for determining the depth of the object, you can use the equation d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the depth, a is the deceleration calculated in the previous step, and t is the time it takes for the object to come to a complete stop (which can be estimated based on the initial velocity and the force of water resistance).

I hope this helps you with your problem. Remember to double-check your equations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your project!

1. What is water resistance problem?

Water resistance problem refers to the inability of a material or object to resist the penetration or absorption of water. This can lead to damage or malfunction of the material or object.

2. What causes water resistance problem?

Water resistance problem can be caused by various factors such as poor quality materials, design flaws, or wear and tear over time. It can also be caused by external factors such as extreme weather conditions or improper usage.

3. How can water resistance problem be prevented?

Water resistance problem can be prevented by using high-quality materials that are specifically designed to resist water. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become a problem.

4. Can water resistance problem be fixed?

In some cases, water resistance problem can be fixed by repairing or replacing the affected material or object. However, it is important to note that once the integrity of the material has been compromised, it may never regain its original level of water resistance.

5. Are there any health risks associated with water resistance problem?

In some situations, water resistance problem can lead to the growth of mold or mildew, which can pose health risks to individuals who are exposed to it. It is important to address any water resistance problems promptly to prevent potential health hazards.