Dealing with Non-Existent Derivatives and Critical Values in Functions

In summary, when trying a first and second derivative test on a function and they do not exist on the function (they only give errors), it is possible that the critical values of the function (max, mins, points of inflection) don't exist on the function.
roy5995
What happens if you are trying a first and second derivative test on a function and they do not exist on the function (they only give errors)

Also, is it possible that the critical values of a function (max, mins, points of inflection) don't extist on a function

example

y=-4x(x^2 -6)^0.5
y'=-8(x^2 -6)^-0.5 (x^2 -3)
y''=8x(x^2-6)^-1.5 (x^2 -9)

When finding the max and mins set y'=0
and i find that the max and mins are at -root3 and root3 (i can't type a square root sign)
but they don't exist in the function ( when i susbstitute that into the function i get error because you can't squaer root a negative number.

What do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I'd like to point out that at √3, what you wrote for f' does not exist either. (to make the √ symbol, write "& radic ;" but without the quotes and spaces)

Anyways, are you sure you computed the derivative correctly?

ya, my derivative could be wrong i tried to do they quickly
but my question is what happens to the graph when -&radic;6 < x < &radic;6

Last edited:
It doesn't exist. Nothing there.

Well, don't do derivatives quickly! I would like to know how you arrived at that answer. It doesn't seem to be anything like what I get.

I get, for the derivative of y=-4x(x^2 -6)^0.5,
y'= -4(x^2- 6)^0.5- 2x(x^2-6)^-0.5(2x)= 4(x^2-1)(x^2-6)^-0.5 which is 0 at -1 and 1 and undefined at the endpoints +/- &radic;(6).

As for "what happens to the graph when -&radic;(6) < x < &radic;(6)" the answer is nothing happens to it. The function itself is only defined for x<-&radic;(6) and x> &radic;(6). For x between -&radic;(6) and &radic;(6), x2-6 is negative and does not return a real number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Well, don't do derivatives quickly! I would like to know how you arrived at that answer. It doesn't seem to be anything like what I get.

I get, for the derivative of y=-4x(x^2 -6)^0.5,
y'= -4(x^2- 6)^0.5- 2x(x^2-6)^-0.5(2x)= 4(x^2-1)(x^2-6)^-0.5 which is 0 at -1 and 1 and undefined at the endpoints +/- &radic;(6).

As for "what happens to the graph when -&radic;(6) < x < &radic;(6)" the answer is nothing happens to it. The function itself is only defined for x<-&radic;(6) and x> &radic;(6). For x between -&radic;(6) and &radic;(6), x2-6 is negative and does not return a real number.

I tried both derivatives again and got the same answer.

and to find max and mins you set the first derivative equal to 0. right?

Then you solve for x. doind that you find that when x= +/- &radic;3 the derivative =0 . so they are the maximums and minimums, but they don't exist on the graph b/c when you sub +/- &radic;3 back into the original equation you get an error b/c you can't take the square root of a negative.

SO I'm wonder what would happen since the max and mins don't exist on a graph?

So i guess there would just be a big gap in the middle.
But what would you use the max and mins for?

What are the max and mins of the graph?

How do you find the asymptotes? do i use the max and mins that i found?

You did the derivative again and got the same answer? The same as you got before or the same as I did?

I wrote that bit about the derivative being 0 at 1 and -1 BEFORE I notice that the function is not defined between -&radic;(6) and &radic(6) and then did not change it. Obviously, if the function itself is not defined at 1 and -1, then neither is the derivative!

This function has no max or min. The graph is a curve (almost a straight line) from the upper left to (-&radic(6),0). Then there is a gap to (&radic(6),0) and a curve (almost a straight line) going off to the lower right.

Well, not exactly. strictly speaking the point (-&radic(6),0) is a "local minimum" and (&radic(6), 0) is a "local maximum". Notice that those are the first points at which the derivative does not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i guess that there are no points of inflection either. right?

How do you find pionts of inflection?
Do you set the 2nd derivative equal to zero and solve for x?
what do you do after that?

No y-intercept, but there are 2 x-intercepts. right?

1. What are derivatives that don't exist?

Derivatives that don't exist refer to mathematical functions that do not have a derivative at a certain point or on a certain interval. This could be due to the function being discontinuous or having sharp corners, among other reasons.

2. Why do some derivatives not exist?

Derivatives may not exist for a variety of reasons, such as the function being discontinuous, having a sharp corner, or having a vertical tangent. In these cases, the derivative is undefined or does not have a unique value.

3. How do we calculate derivatives that don't exist?

In most cases, derivatives that don't exist cannot be calculated using traditional methods. However, in some cases, we can use advanced mathematical techniques such as the generalized derivative or the distributional derivative to calculate the derivative at points where it previously did not exist.

4. What are some real-world applications of derivatives that don't exist?

Derivatives that don't exist have applications in various fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, these derivatives can be used to model non-smooth demand and supply curves. In physics, they can be used to study the motion of objects with sharp corners or discontinuities.

5. Can we graph derivatives that don't exist?

Yes, we can graph derivatives that don't exist using advanced mathematical techniques. For example, in the case of a discontinuous function, we can graph the derivative by considering the left and right limits at the point of discontinuity. However, the resulting graph may have gaps or jumps, indicating that the derivative does not exist at certain points.