Mechanical waves-relation between frequency and power

In summary: yes after reviewing the link , my friend over there provided i was able to develop a much greater understanding of it , thanks for your answer though !
frequency__
so i do understand clearly that the higher the energy of a wave , the higher the amplitude ... but what i was not understanding is how we can create a wave that performs 50 oscillations per second with the same amount of energy that we use to form 1 oscillations per second , with both waves of same amplitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Try this link. The explanation there may help.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/powstr.html
thank you that helped a lot :D , but i still lack some understanding , is the concept that with the same amount of energy you could create 2 waves with the same properties( amplitude , wave length , ect...) but different frequencies really accurate , because from your helpful answer that allowed me to better understand it , it seems to be not really accurate , thanks in advance :)

frequency__ said:
thank you that helped a lot :D , but i still lack some understanding , is the concept that with the same amount of energy you could create 2 waves with the same properties( amplitude , wave length , ect...) but different frequencies really accurate , because from your helpful answer that allowed me to better understand it , it seems to be not really accurate , thanks in advance :)

You are contradicting yourself. Wave length is the reciprocal of frequency, so you can't hold wave length constant while changing frequency.

Go back and look at the link one more time carefully. Mathematical equations convey the message more clearly than natural language. Study the equations and their implications and you can answer your own question.

anorlunda said:
You are contradicting yourself. Wave length is the reciprocal of frequency, so you can't hold wave length constant while changing frequency.

Go back and look at the link one more time carefully. Mathematical equations convey the message more clearly than natural language. Study the equations and their implications and you can answer your own question.
oh sorry it was a typo , i meant velocity and medium , ect... but thank you i will review it few more times for sure :)

If you want to have the same energy for the same amplitude but different frequencies you will need to change the parameters of the medium.
If you increase frequency of the waves, in order to keep the energy and amplitude constant you need to change the parameters describing the stiffness and density of the medium. Think about a medium less stiff or less dense (or both). You can intuitively understand that a less stiff medium will result in lower potential energy of the wave and a less dense medium will lover the kinetic energy. Of course, for a wave in medium we usually discuss the energy density.

nasu said:
If you want to have the same energy for the same amplitude but different frequencies you will need to change the parameters of the medium.
If you increase frequency of the waves, in order to keep the energy and amplitude constant you need to change the parameters describing the stiffness and density of the medium. Think about a medium less stiff or less dense (or both). You can intuitively understand that a less stiff medium will result in lower potential energy of the wave and a less dense medium will lover the kinetic energy. Of course, for a wave in medium we usually discuss the energy density.
yes after reviewing the link , my friend over there provided i was able to develop a much greater understanding of it , thanks for your answer though ! it was able to mark my point as correct :)

Related to Mechanical waves-relation between frequency and power

1. What is a mechanical wave?

A mechanical wave is a type of wave that requires a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. This medium allows the energy of the wave to be transferred from one point to another.

2. How is frequency related to mechanical wave power?

The frequency of a mechanical wave is directly proportional to its power. This means that as the frequency increases, the power of the wave also increases. This is because a higher frequency wave has more cycles per second, resulting in a greater amount of energy being transferred per unit of time.

3. Can mechanical waves have different frequencies?

Yes, mechanical waves can have a wide range of frequencies. The frequency of a wave is determined by the source of the wave and the characteristics of the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound waves can have frequencies ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

4. How does the power of a mechanical wave affect its intensity?

The power of a mechanical wave is directly related to its intensity. As the power of the wave increases, so does its intensity. This is because a more powerful wave is able to transfer more energy per unit of time, resulting in a greater intensity at a given point in the medium.

5. Can the power of a mechanical wave be changed?

Yes, the power of a mechanical wave can be changed. This can be done by altering the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as changing the density or temperature. The power of a wave can also be changed by adjusting the source of the wave, such as increasing or decreasing the force creating the wave.