Can Magnitism Stretch Time and Allow for Faster-Than-Light Travel?

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ftl Theory
In summary, the conversation centers around the idea of using magnetism to stretch time in order to travel faster than light. The speaker protests this idea, explaining that time does not play a significant role in FTL travel and that infinite energy would be needed. However, the woodshop teacher claims to have traveled faster than light with just one step, leading to confusion and skepticism from the speaker. The conversation also touches on the concept of warp drive and the teacher's possible intention of provoking thought and discussion on the topic.
RuroumiKenshin
My woodshop teacher, who is a physics hobbyist, insists that by using magnitism to stretch time, we could travel faster than light.

I protested at the idea; but my explanations of how time doesn't matter much when it comes to ftl travel, and the fact that you need infinite energy failed to convince him. Besides, I don't see how 'stretching time' could allow for ftl travel.

To prove his hypothesis, he took one step, and claimed he traveled faster than light. Can anyone make sense out of this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by MajinVegeta
My woodshop teacher, who is a physics hobbyist, insists that by using magnitism to stretch time, we could travel faster than light.

I protested at the idea; but my explanations of how time doesn't matter much when it comes to ftl travel, and the fact that you need infinite energy failed to convince him. Besides, I don't see how 'stretching time' could allow for ftl travel.

To prove his hypothesis, he took one step, and claimed he traveled faster than light. Can anyone make sense out of this??

Well, as far as using magnetism to "stretch time", I'd have to hear some kind of idea as to how this could be accomplished.

As for that last comment (about his having traveled faster than light), I think he was either joking, or under some strange misconception.

I don't think so because the only contribution to bending spacetime that energy makes is small - m=E/c2 (or m=hf/c2), so 1 kilogram of matter bends space the same as a super-concentrated energy of 9x1016 joules. That'd be a lot of EM energy, such as having a bunch of H-bombs in a very small space.

We do have ideas for warp drive using "Space Folding". I don't know of any magnetic [really electric anyway] connection, but the energy requirement may not be infinite to "avoid" the sol limitation.

I think his point was: try to prove him wrong. He probably got this from KPAX. I suspect his point was the very paradox that you seek to resolve...and the fact that you are doing it [edit] means that he was successful!

Last edited:

1. What is the "Woodshop teacher's ftl theory"?

The "Woodshop teacher's ftl theory" is a theoretical concept proposed by a woodshop teacher that suggests the possibility of faster-than-light (FTL) travel using advanced woodworking techniques.

2. How does the theory propose to achieve FTL travel?

The theory suggests that by utilizing special materials and techniques, such as creating a "warp wood" that bends space-time, FTL travel may be possible in the same way that a ship can sail faster than the speed of the wind.

3. What evidence supports the validity of this theory?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the "Woodshop teacher's ftl theory." It remains a theoretical concept and has not been tested or proven by scientific methods.

4. How does this theory differ from other proposed methods of FTL travel?

Unlike other proposed methods, such as using wormholes or manipulating dark energy, the "Woodshop teacher's ftl theory" relies on the principles of woodworking and the properties of wood. This makes it a unique and unconventional approach to achieving FTL travel.

5. Is there any potential practical application for this theory?

At this time, there is no practical application for the "Woodshop teacher's ftl theory." However, it may serve as a source of inspiration for future scientific research and exploration of unconventional ideas in the field of FTL travel.