Why Is Longitudinal Strain Zero for a Heated Copper Rod on a Smooth Surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the longitudinal strain developed in a copper rod when heated from 0 C to 100 C on a smooth surface. The individual attempted a solution, but the given answer was zero, which may be a typo if the question was meant to ask for longitudinal stress instead.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

A copper rod of length l_0 at 0 C is placed on a smooth surface.Now the rod is heated up to 100 C.FIND THE LONGITUDINAL STRAIN DEVELOPED ?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did :
strain = delta l/ l_0
= l_0 alpha(coefficient of linear expansion) delta T/l_0
=100 alpha

but surprisingly the answer is zero and the solution says since the "SURFACE IS SMOOTH".
I have no clue why or how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer. The given answer makes sense if the question asked for longitudinal stress, so it may be a typo.

billy_joule said:
I agree with your answer. The given answer makes sense if the question asked for longitudinal stress, so it may be a typo.
Ditto.

Related to Why Is Longitudinal Strain Zero for a Heated Copper Rod on a Smooth Surface?

1. What is strain in mechanical properties?

Strain is a measure of the deformation or elongation of a material in response to an applied force. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically expressed as a percentage or decimal value.

2. How is strain calculated?

Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length or deformation of a material by its original length. This can be expressed as a formula: strain = change in length / original length.

3. What is the difference between tensile strain and compressive strain?

Tensile strain is the elongation of a material in response to an applied pulling force, while compressive strain is the reduction in length of a material in response to an applied pushing force.

4. How does strain affect the mechanical properties of a material?

Strain can affect the mechanical properties of a material by altering its strength, stiffness, and ductility. Excessive strain can cause a material to fail or break, while controlled strain can improve the material's performance.

5. What factors can influence strain in materials?

Several factors can influence strain in materials, including the type of force applied, the magnitude of the force, the material's composition and structure, and the temperature and environmental conditions in which the material is tested.