Mechanical Principles - Rotating Systems

In summary: I've looked up your problem and found the following "word" solution, you should be able to use this to generate your own formulae.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mass of load = 250 kgMass of drum = 225 kgRadius of drum = 0.75 mRadius of gyration = 0.32 mTime for acceleration = 4 secondsTime for deceleration = 1 secondFinal height of load = 10.5 mThe load will be accelerated upwards for 4 seconds and then decelerated for 1 second. The total time for the motion is therefore 5 seconds.To find the maximum velocity reached by the load, we use the equation of motion:v = u
louise
A load of mass 250kg is required to be lifted by a means of a winding drum and cable. The mass will be initially at rest, accelerated uniformly upwards for 4 seconds and then decelerated uniformly for one second. such that a final height of 10.5 metres is gained.

The winding drum has a mass of 225kg, a diameter of 1.5m and a radius of gyration of 320mm. The bearings of the drum have a constant frictional torque of 5Nm.

Calculate:
a) The maximum velocity reached by the mass.
b) The maximum angular velocity of the winding drum.
c) The total work done whilst accelerating the load upwards.
d) The input torque to the driving motor whilst accelerating the load.
e) The average power required whilst accelerating the load.
f) The maximum power required from the drive motor.

My solutions so far:
a) Using: s=ut+1/2at^2 (1/2 being half and ^2 being squared)
a=2(s-ut)/t^
=2(10.5-0*4)/4^2
= 1.31m/s^2
Using: v=u+at
=0+1.13*4
=5.24m/s^2
b) Using: θ=((ω1+ω2)t)/2 UNSURE ON THIS ON FOR DEFINITE!
=((0+5.24)4)/2
=10.48radians?
θ/t=Angular Velocity
10.48/2∏ (∏ being used as Pi)
=16.46revs

c) NEED HELP I HAVE THIS EQUATION BUT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT ALL THE LETTERS FIRST
WD=mg(h2-h1)+1/2m(v^2-u^2)+1/2I(ω2^2-ω1^2)+(Fr*θ)
I know mK^2 =I m being the mass and K being the radius of gyration?
An to find h2 I use S=((u+v)t)/2
d)Ang Power =WD/t?
f)??
g) Max Power = T*ω1??

PROBABLY ALL WRONG - PLEASE HELP, QUITE BAFFLED AT THE MOMENT!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Your overall strategy appears to involve trying to find the right equations to use.
It is better to use your understanding of the physics.

(a) fair enough - you can also draw a v-t diagram.
(b) what is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?
(c) ignore the formula - work = change in energy: where does the energy put into winding the drum go?
(d) W=Fd normally - what is the angular form?
(e&f) what is the definition of power?

note: if you know the linear equation, you can get the equivalent rotational one by substituting:
velocity -> angular velocity
acceleration -> angular acceleration
force -> torque
displacement -> angle

Yes, I am looking for help with the equations and advice as to whether the methods I've attempted to use are correct.

a) I have already done a velocity time graph to represent the two in relation with each other. Wasn't too sure that my working for the calculations were correct.
b) They are the same, but because the winding drum is the rotating object you can't use the same formula. That's where i was confused.
c) Into the load? I have no idea.
d) I needed the average power not angular sorry! W=Fd? We've never being taught that. What does the lettering stand for?
e&f) WD/time = Pavg Torque*?=Pmax

PS. I'm not a whizz at physics and the formulas involved with Mech Principles, its just one unit of many we have to do.

louise said:
Yes, I am looking for help with the equations and advice as to whether the methods I've attempted to use are correct.

a) I have already done a velocity time graph to represent the two in relation with each other. Wasn't too sure that my working for the calculations were correct.
Oh good - well from the v-t graph you just do a bit of geometry to check your result via equations.

b) They are the same, but because the winding drum is the rotating object you can't use the same formula. That's where i was confused.
No ... linear velocity and angular velocity are not the same - they have a reationship.
Have you see v=rω?

c) Into the load? I have no idea.
Come on - what kinds of energy are there?
Is the load moving vertically? What kind of energy changes?
Is the load changing speed? What kind of energy changes?
Is there any friction?

d) I needed the average power not angular sorry! W=Fd? We've never being taught that. What does the lettering stand for?
It is the definition of Work.
W = work
F = force
d = displacement

M = load mass = 250 kg
m = drum mass = 225 kg
k = radius of gyration = 0.32 metres

Im assuming the mass moment of inertia (i) = m * k ² = 225 * 0.32 ² = 23.04 kg-m²
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a short cut that might help you cut out some work, you can give the load and drum a combined equivalent mass (EM) for use in this type of problem :

Give the load an example constant velocity, say 10 m/s and calculate the linear KE from :
KE linear = ½ * M * v ²

Calculate the rotation rate ω ( radians / second ) of the drum with the load at 10 m/s from v / r
Calculate the rotary KE of the drum from :
KE rotary = ½ * i * ω ²

Install in the following equation :
EM (in kgs) = ( 1 + ( KE rotary / KE linear ) ) * M

If you have a linear acceleration rate (a) for the load for instance, you can calculate the force (f) required to accelerate both the load and the drum from :
f = EM * a

im uncertain as to the performance you require under accelerating and braking, can you post the graph you have ?
thanks
dean

Sorry louise, led you up the wrong path there, disregard my input.
dean

Related to Mechanical Principles - Rotating Systems

1. What is a rotating system?

A rotating system is a mechanical system that includes one or more components that spin or rotate around an axis. Examples of rotating systems include wheels, gears, turbines, and motors.

2. What are the basic principles of rotating systems?

The basic principles of rotating systems include torque, angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object is rotating. Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity is changing, and moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation.

3. How do rotating systems transfer energy?

Rotating systems transfer energy through the conversion of mechanical energy into rotational kinetic energy. This occurs through the application of torque to an object, causing it to rotate and store energy. This stored energy can then be transferred to other components or converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy in a motor.

4. How do rotating systems affect stability?

Rotating systems can have both stabilizing and destabilizing effects, depending on their design and application. In general, a rotating system with a high moment of inertia will be more stable, as it will be more resistant to changes in its rotation. However, certain types of rotating systems, such as gyroscopes, can also have destabilizing effects due to their ability to maintain their orientation and resist external forces.

5. What are some common applications of rotating systems?

Rotating systems have a wide range of applications in various industries, including transportation, manufacturing, and energy production. Some common examples include car engines, wind turbines, pumps, and conveyor belts. Rotating systems are also essential in many household appliances, such as washing machines, blenders, and fans.