Mechanical Forces: Centrifugal/Centripetal Force Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces involved in a rock tied to a rope spinning in a horizontal plane. The centrifugal force and centripetal force are both present, but the tension in the rope is what keeps the rock from falling. The rope is not exactly horizontal and the upward force from the rope and downward force from gravity are equal in magnitude. This is demonstrated by spinning a lightweight rope with a heavy weight and observing from the side.
pedro trindade
i'm not really a phycisist and to be really sincere i usually cannot answear my questions in class... so yeah, a question i have for a long time now is, which force anulates the gravity preventing a rock tied on a rope spinning over my head to fall and just stay fixed in his horizontal axis, the centrifugal force and the centripetal are both horizontal in this case... what happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension in the rope. The rope is not horizontal.

what do you mean? (i'm really sorry if it is a dumb question.). The rope in this case is spinning with the rock in the horizontal axis over my head.

Like in the case of a olive being spin inside a cup turned upside down... why it don't fall?

A rock spinning in a horizontal plane is spinning around a vertical axis. I think that this is what you mean. In order to spin around that axis it must be subject to a horizontal net force. The force from gravity is downward. The force from the rope is toward the center and slightly upward. The rope is not exactly horizontal. The upward component of force from the rope and the downward force from gravity are equal in magnitude.

pedro trindade said:
The rope in this case is spinning with the rock in the horizontal axis over my head.
No, it isn't. Get a relatively lightweight rope and a decently massive weight. Have someone who is shorter than you spin it at a moderate speed, and look at it from the side. You will see that the rope is not horizontal.

thanks... that answered well ^^

Related to Mechanical Forces: Centrifugal/Centripetal Force Effects

1. What is the difference between centrifugal and centripetal force?

Centrifugal force is an apparent force that seems to push objects away from the center of rotation, while centripetal force is a real force that pulls objects towards the center of rotation.

2. How do centrifugal and centripetal forces affect objects in circular motion?

Centrifugal force causes objects to move away from the center of rotation and centripetal force keeps objects moving in a circular path by pulling them towards the center of rotation.

3. What factors affect the strength of centrifugal and centripetal forces?

The strength of centrifugal and centripetal forces depends on the mass and speed of the object, as well as the radius of the circular path it is moving in. The larger the mass or speed, or the smaller the radius, the greater the forces will be.

4. Can centrifugal and centripetal forces be observed in everyday life?

Yes, centrifugal and centripetal forces can be observed in many everyday activities such as riding a merry-go-round, swinging a yo-yo, or driving a car around a curve.

5. How do centrifugal and centripetal forces play a role in the design of machinery and structures?

Centrifugal and centripetal forces must be taken into account when designing machinery and structures that involve rotational motion. These forces can cause stress and strain on the materials used, so engineers must ensure that the design can withstand these forces and maintain stability.