Mechanical Engineering personal statement

In summary: You mention books about ME, are these any good? Books are a good way to show that you're actually reading and researching about the subject, not just skimming through Wikipedia. Anything you read, take the time to write about and explain to the interviewer.I don't think you need to worry about the 130 quid. A good personal statement should be worth at least that, especially in this competitive field.
EagarToLearn
I am very interested in pursuing a career in Mechanical Engineering, and I am in the process of writing my Personal Statement for universities.

However, I am not sure what would be good to include, I have around 1 month until the deadline for applications, and in that time I would like to do something related which would really boost my application.

Any ideas what I can do, this would be really helpful to me.

Thank you :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Experience, education, credentials, qualifications, ambition.

brewnog said:
Experience, education, credentials, qualifications, ambition.

Thanks, but I don't know what qualifies as experience and qualifications :/ I'm 17 atm, I don't really have any experience of working in a mechanical engineering placement, though I have some academic qualifications, though they are not related to M.E.

I was thinking more about what I can do in the next month, I'm reading some books atm about Mechanical Engineering, just need some more ideas lol

Thank you

Anyone? ;/

I think with 1 month to go, anything you do now will be a bit worthless for a personal statement. Doing something related might show you have a long-term interest in the field, but at the 11th hour just shows you don't prepare well!

I used to work in a company which wrote personal statements for prospective college students. The fact that such companies exist is a sign that the personal statement wouldn't/shouldn't/doesn't(?) carry much weight compared to grades.

Having said that. You don't have to show you're a born-Engineer. Other qualities like perseverance, coping with challenges and failures, interacting with people, etc. are all supposed to be good things to show on a personal statement. Think about what you feel is important to you, so you can write about it with some passion.

Remember engineers don't just calculate bolt torques. Writing, management skills, making complex non-quantifiable decisions, communicating with a wide range of people, creativity, personal time management and organization skills, etc. are all important.

I've found the key to these things is to not be fake. Unrest is quite right, an 11th hour attempt to show a life long love of engineering won't work, it'll probably even be detrimental.

Also, always write your own personal statemnt, it's painfully obvious at interviews those people who haven't done so. Which interviewers don't like.

Also 130 quid for bullgarbageting someones statement?? I'm in the wrong job.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at talking about any projects you have undertaken in Technology from school as you are still 17. Any group projects you were a part of, talking about your involvment in a team etc. Any practical skills and academics.

Related to Mechanical Engineering personal statement

1. What should I include in my Mechanical Engineering personal statement?

The key elements to include in your personal statement for Mechanical Engineering are your motivation for the field, relevant academic and work experiences, specific skills and knowledge related to mechanical engineering, and your future goals and aspirations in the field.

2. How long should my Mechanical Engineering personal statement be?

Most universities will have specific guidelines on the length of a personal statement, but generally it should be around 500-600 words. It is important to be concise and only include relevant information.

3. Can I mention my extracurricular activities in my Mechanical Engineering personal statement?

Yes, you can mention your extracurricular activities as long as they relate to your interest in mechanical engineering and showcase your skills and qualities. For example, if you were part of a robotics club, you can talk about how it sparked your interest in engineering and how you developed your problem-solving skills through it.

4. Is it necessary to mention specific projects or research in my Mechanical Engineering personal statement?

If you have worked on any relevant projects or research, it is definitely beneficial to mention them in your personal statement. It will demonstrate your practical experience and show your commitment to the field. However, it is not necessary if you do not have any relevant experience.

5. How can I make my Mechanical Engineering personal statement stand out?

To make your personal statement stand out, you can include specific examples and anecdotes to showcase your passion for the field, highlight any unique experiences or skills you have, and demonstrate your understanding of the subject. It is also important to proofread and edit your statement to ensure it is well-written and error-free.