Mechanical energy required each cycle to operate the refrigerator

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mechanical energy and heat discarded in a refrigerator with a coefficient of performance of 2.16. The person has tried using formulas but is still having trouble finding the answer. They ultimately figure it out on their own.
wgd9891
MODS close this thread down i figured out the answer myself

Homework Statement

A refrigerator has a coefficient of performance of 2.16. Each cycle it absorbs an amount of heat equal to 3.435×104 J from the cold reservoir.

i need to find a) the mechanical energy required each cycle to operate the refrigerator.
b)during each cycle how much heat is discarded to the high temperature reservoir.

Homework Equations

e = W/Qh; e=1+(Qc/Qh)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the formula in b and apparently it isn't the answer. i also tried using 1-(Qc/Qh) to find Qh. it still didn't work. any other ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the concept of a refridgerator is a device that moves energy from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir. So, from this, you know the heat discarded in the hot reservoir has to be at least that removed from the cold reservoir. But you have to remember that you also have to put work into the system in order to get the heat to move from cold to hot, so there will be extra energy discarded into the hot reservoir that will be equal to the work put in. So can you find the total energy being dumped into the hot reservoir from this information?

wgd9891 said:
MODS close this thread down i figured out the answer myself

The moderators aren't generally watching all these threads. I believe the local custom is that, if you are satisfied with the resolution of your problem, you can edit your thread title by adding [SOLVED] at the beginning.

Related to Mechanical energy required each cycle to operate the refrigerator

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that is possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is the sum of potential energy (stored energy) and kinetic energy (energy of motion).

2. How is mechanical energy used in a refrigerator?

Mechanical energy is used in a refrigerator to power the compressor, which compresses the refrigerant gas and increases its temperature. This high-temperature, high-pressure gas then flows through the condenser coils, where it releases heat and condenses into a liquid. This liquid then flows through the expansion valve and into the evaporator coils, where it absorbs heat from the inside of the refrigerator and evaporates back into a gas. The gas is then sent back to the compressor to continue the cycle.

3. Why is mechanical energy required each cycle to operate the refrigerator?

Mechanical energy is required each cycle to operate the refrigerator because it is necessary for the refrigerant gas to be compressed, condensed, and evaporated in order to remove heat from the inside of the refrigerator. This process requires the use of a compressor, which is powered by mechanical energy.

4. How much mechanical energy is required to operate a refrigerator?

The amount of mechanical energy required to operate a refrigerator varies depending on the size and efficiency of the refrigerator, as well as the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the refrigerator. On average, a typical household refrigerator requires around 100-200 watts of mechanical energy per cycle.

5. How can the mechanical energy required to operate a refrigerator be reduced?

The mechanical energy required to operate a refrigerator can be reduced by using more energy-efficient refrigerators, keeping the refrigerator well-maintained and clean, and minimizing the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the refrigerator. Additionally, using alternative energy sources such as solar power can also reduce the mechanical energy required to operate a refrigerator.