Mechanical Energy loss due to NC Forces: two railroad cars collide.

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving mechanical energy loss due to non-conservative forces. The problem involves two railroad cars colliding head on and coming to rest, and the question asks for the amount of thermal energy produced in the collision. The solution is found using energy considerations only, and the final answer is twice the calculated value due to both trains releasing their kinetic energy simultaneously.
Senjai
[SOLVED-Thanks AL]Mechanical Energy loss due to NC Forces: two railroad cars collide.

SOLVED! - Thanks Al!

Homework Statement

Two railroad cars each of mass 4800 kg and traveling @ 80 km/h collide head on and come to rest. How much thermal energy is produced in this collision?

Homework Equations

[tex] E_k + E_p = E^{'}_k + E^{'}_p + Q [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem does not use momentum. Energy considerations only.

I treat one car as a single entity.

Energy before = energy after.

There was only an initial kinetic energy at the beginning and no kinetic energy afterwards. so i assume all the energy was transformed to Q.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = Q [/tex]

after finding 80 km/h = 22.2222... m/s

i solved and got 1.2 x 10^6 J, the answer is double that, 2.4 x 10^6 J, where did i go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two moving trains. :wink:

OH! I only calculated the amount of thermal energy one train would release, and not the other. So the answer would be Q of both trains (KE of train one + the KE of train two) as it's released simultaneously ?? Ugh... i thought i'd isolate only one train because I wasn't dealing with momentum.. got my head stuck in dynamics :) Thanks a lot Doc!

Related to Mechanical Energy loss due to NC Forces: two railroad cars collide.

1. What is mechanical energy loss due to NC forces?

Mechanical energy loss due to NC (non-conservative) forces refers to the decrease in the total mechanical energy of a system as a result of external forces that do negative work on the system.

2. How do two railroad cars colliding result in mechanical energy loss?

When two railroad cars collide, there is a transfer of energy between the two cars. The impact of the collision causes the cars to deform, which results in the dissipation of energy in the form of heat and sound. This leads to a decrease in the total mechanical energy of the system.

3. Is mechanical energy loss due to NC forces avoidable?

No, mechanical energy loss due to NC forces is not avoidable. In any collision or interaction between objects, there will always be some amount of energy lost due to non-conservative forces.

4. How does the speed of the cars affect the amount of mechanical energy loss?

The speed of the cars has a direct impact on the amount of mechanical energy loss. The faster the cars are moving, the greater the impact and deformation during the collision, leading to a higher amount of energy loss.

5. Can mechanical energy loss due to NC forces be recovered?

No, mechanical energy loss due to NC forces cannot be recovered. Once energy is lost, it cannot be regained. It is converted into other forms, such as heat and sound, and cannot be converted back into mechanical energy.