Mechanical Energy Homework: Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch

In summary, a 10 kg space probe is launched from the surface of the planet Zero with an initial kinetic energy of 5.0x10^7 J. When the probe is 4.0x10^6 m from the center of Zero, its kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation (1/2)mv^2 - (GMm/R) = (1/2)mv^2 - (GMm)/(10R). The distance to the center of Zero is measured from the surface, so the value for R should be 3.0x10^6 m. The value of R on the right side of the equation should be 10 times the distance to the center of the probe, or
norcal

Homework Statement

Zero, a hypothetical planet, has a mass of 1.0x10^23 kg, a radius of 3.0x10^6 m, and no atmosphere. A 10 kg space probe is to be launched vertically from its surface.
(a) If the probe is launched with an initial kinetic energy of 5.0x10^7 J, what will be its kinetic energy when it is 4.0x10^6 m from the center of Zero?

Homework Equations

(1/2)mv^2 - (GMm/R)=(1/2)mv^2 - (GMm)/(10R)

The Attempt at a Solution

5.0e7 - [(6.67e-11)(1e23)(10)]/(3e6)= KE - [(6.67e-11)(1e23)(10)]/(10(4e6)]

I don't think that I am using the right values for R though. Am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/2)mv^2 - (GMm/R) = (1/2)mv^2 - (GMm)/(10R)

I can't see where the 10R comes from. Should be R as on the LHS.

ok, well do I have the correct values of R set up in the equation or do I need to take the difference of the distance of the satellite to the center or anything?

I think all your distances are measured from the centre of Zero.

Related to Mechanical Energy Homework: Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It can be classified into two types: kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy stored in an object's position.

2. How does mechanical energy relate to the Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch homework?

In the Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch homework, mechanical energy is used to calculate the total energy required to launch a 10kg probe from a planet with zero gravity. This energy is then used to determine the launch velocity and trajectory of the probe.

3. What factors affect mechanical energy in the Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch homework?

The main factors that affect mechanical energy in this homework are the mass of the probe, the gravitational constant of the planet, and the height from which the probe is launched. These factors all contribute to the total energy required for the launch.

4. How do you calculate mechanical energy in the Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch homework?

To calculate mechanical energy, you will need to use the formula E = mgh + 1/2mv^2, where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the probe, g is the gravitational constant, h is the height from which the probe is launched, and v is the launch velocity.

5. Why is mechanical energy important in the Zero Planet w/ 10kg Probe Launch homework?

Mechanical energy is important in this homework because it helps us determine the total energy required for the launch of the probe. This information is crucial in planning and executing a successful launch, as it allows us to calculate the necessary velocity and trajectory for the probe.