Mechanical energy and velocity

In summary, the skier, weighing 60 kg, slides down a 30 m slope with an angle of 26 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 0.2. To find the mechanical energy lost, we use the equation w=mgh and calculate (60)(9.8)(cos26) = 17640 J. To find the velocity, we first need to calculate the height of the slope, which is 30 sin(26) m. Then, using the equation for energy lost to friction (force*distance), we can find the velocity of the skier. It is important to always include units to avoid mistakes.
bkl4life

Homework Statement

A 60 kg skier slides from rest down a 30 m slope that makes an angle of 26 degrees with the horizontal. Assume the coefficient of friction of the slope is .2.

How much mechanical energy does the skier lose while skiing down the hill?
What is the velocity of the skier lose while skiing down the hill?

Homework Equations

w=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

m=(60)(9.8)(30)=17640 J

I'm not sure what to do after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
H isn't 30m, the slope is 30m long (ie along the hypotonuse) you have to work out from the 26deg how high the slope is.

Okay, so I do

(60)(9.8)(cos26)

Is it possible to take that answer and set it up to find the velocity? Do I need part A to find part B. I'm just really confused.

What units does 'mgh' have, what units does your equation have?
Always put in the units - it let's you spot mistakes.
The vertical height is 30 sin(26) m

You know how muhc potential energy the skier loses, and this equals the kinetic energy they gain less the frictional losses.
The energy lost to friction is force*distance, so the length of the slope * the frictional force along the slope

Thanks! This makes sense. I always mess up my units!

Related to Mechanical energy and velocity

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position.

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

Mechanical energy is calculated as the sum of an object's kinetic energy (energy due to its motion) and potential energy (energy due to its position).

3. What is the relationship between mechanical energy and velocity?

The relationship between mechanical energy and velocity is that as an object's velocity increases, its mechanical energy also increases. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's velocity.

4. Can mechanical energy change forms?

Yes, mechanical energy can change forms. It can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or sound energy, through processes like friction or collisions.

5. How does velocity affect an object's mechanical energy?

Velocity has a significant impact on an object's mechanical energy. As an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy increases, which in turn increases its overall mechanical energy. On the other hand, a decrease in velocity results in a decrease in mechanical energy.