Mechanical apptitude to suggest the direction of action.

In summary, the conversation discusses a gear system with equal weights and the direction of motion of each side (rack). The question is whether the gears will go in the same or opposite directions, and the two options provided are opposite of each other. The correct answer is determined by considering the gear ratios and torque, with the larger gear wheel providing a longer lever arm and more torque.
zizodev
hi ..

Homework Statement

we have this gear system (we put an equal weight W).where will the action like A or like B direction?

http://data.imagup.com/11/1146214320.jpg

thanks for you suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi zizodev! :smile:

what is the general principle to apply for the direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) of connected gearwheels?

i think it doesn't matter the direction..the same weight on the axes and what will happen. we have a tothed wheel gear (one bigger than the other)..
for me i choose B.

the general principle is that if one gear goes clockwise, the next must go anticlockwise

now apply that :smile:

I believe his question is more gear ratios/mechanical advantage rather than whether the device can/will turn. The question as I see it is "if the same weights are placed on this device, what will be the direction of motion of each side (rack)?" The two answers provided are opposite of each other, so it's really only to determine which side goes down.

To the OP- What is your reasoning for choosing B?

NB:i have studied french. my english is too bad.
yeas that's is S_Happens.
"question is more gear ratios/mechanical advantage rather than whether the device can/will turn. The question is "if the same weights are placed on this device, what will be the direction of motion of each side (rack)?" The two answers provided are opposite of each other, so it's really only to determine which side goes down.

To the OP- What is your reasoning for choosing B?
because the radius of the big gear we can have a big force (momentum) and we know that the small gear (have less force and turn faster than the big gear).isn't it

hi zizodev! :smile:

actually, now that i look at your diagram more carefully, the way you've drawn A and B makes them the same

one should be two arrows in the same direction, the other should be two arrows in opposite directions! :wink:

as i said, alternate gears go opposite ways, so pretend the two straight gears are parts of very large circles, one with its centre on the left, and one with its centre on the right …

that gives you five circles! :smile:

no tiny-tim...the direction of sliding of the ranks..
choice A:the left rank will goes up the right one will goes down.
choice B:the right rank will goes down the right one will goes up.

and we have the same weight on the both ranks.
so what choice A or B will be the correct one..and why??

http://data.imagup.com/12/1146300036.jpg

but (if you've shown us the full question) the question doesn't tell you which way either of them goes …

so it's only asking: do they go the same way or opposite ways?

tiny-tim said:
but (if you've shown us the full question) the question doesn't tell you which way either of them goes …

so it's only asking: do they go the same way or opposite ways?

The reason I posted is because I interpreted your post to see the question this way, while that was not the actual question being asked.

The original question that was posted gave two options
A) right side goes up while left side goes down
B) right side goes down while left side goes up

There was no option for both going the same way, which is why I pointed out that it's a question about gear ratios/mechanical advantage rather than simply which way gears can turn. Obviously there is one larger gear and two smaller gears with similar racks and weights.

To be clear, tiny-tim you are misunderstanding the question.

To the OP- Yes, your reasoning is correct. Momentum is not the correct term. Just consider the torques applied to each gear by the racks (straight gears). The larger radius gear wheel allows a longer lever arm, which means more torque.

yes mr:S_Happens ...this is the solution as i have suggested."The larger radius gear wheel allows a longer lever arm, which means more torque." :) thnks brothers.

Related to Mechanical apptitude to suggest the direction of action.

1. What is mechanical aptitude?

Mechanical aptitude refers to the ability to understand and apply mechanical concepts and principles in order to solve problems and complete tasks related to mechanical systems and machinery.

2. Why is mechanical aptitude important?

Mechanical aptitude is important because it allows individuals to effectively troubleshoot and maintain mechanical systems and equipment, as well as design and develop new mechanical technologies and innovations.

3. How can one improve their mechanical aptitude?

Mechanical aptitude can be improved through hands-on experience and practice with mechanical systems, as well as through studying and learning about mechanical principles and concepts.

4. What types of jobs require strong mechanical aptitude?

Jobs that require strong mechanical aptitude include those in the fields of engineering, mechanics, construction, manufacturing, and transportation. These jobs often involve working with and maintaining complex mechanical systems and equipment.

5. Can mechanical aptitude be measured?

Yes, mechanical aptitude can be measured through various aptitude tests and assessments that evaluate an individual's understanding of mechanical concepts and their ability to apply them in practical situations.