Measuring Voltage across Resistor in Series RLC Circuit

In summary, at resonant frequency, a series RLC circuit with a 10 ohm resistor, 100μF capacitor, and 46mH inductor will produce 1.34 volts. The inductor has resistance, and the capacitor has some internal resistance.
SataSata
I was experimenting with resonant frequency of a series RLC circuit:

5V AC source
10 ohms resistor
100microF capacitor
46mH inductor

Resonant frequency is calculated to be around 74.2Hz. So I set the AC source to resonant frequency 74.2Hz and measured the voltage across the 10 ohms resistor using an oscilloscope. I was expecting to measure close to source voltage of 5V. However I got only 1.34V. That's a phase angle of around 74.4 degrees instead of 0.

If my theory is correct, I should get 5V since impedance is minimum with only the resistance 10 ohms as inductance and capacitance "balance out".
The connections are straightforward and shouldn't have any mis-connection and the AC source has the right voltage and frequency as seen on the oscilloscope. I'm curious as to what possible errors or factors that I might had missed and hope you guys can enlightenment me if I misunderstood something. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect that your 100μF capacitor is an electrolytic. This means:
  1. The capacitor needs a DC potential across it in order to work.
  2. Even if the capacitor is correctly biased, the usual tolerance for an electrolytic is "+100% to -50%"

Likes SataSata
SataSata said:
I'm curious as to what possible errors or factors that I might had missed and hope you guys can enlightenment me if I misunderstood something.
I think you have forgotten that there is some resistance in the inductor as well.

Try to measure this resistance and recalculate.

Likes SataSata
Did you alter the frequency around 74Hz and check for resonanc?...the voltage across the resistor would be a maximum at resonance.
The 'missing'3.66 volts could easily be due to resistance of the inductor.

Likes SataSata and jim hardy
see if this lessens the confusion
use two voltmeters
tune frequency for maximum voltage across the inductor and capacitor
when they're equal you're resonant

Likes SataSata
jim hardy said:
see if this lessens the confusion
use two voltmeters
tune frequency for maximum voltage across the inductor and capacitor
when they're equal you're resonant
If the inductor has significant resistance this will not be accurate?
At resonance the current is max in a series circuit and a good way to detect this is to measure the voltage across the series resistance. At resonance this should equal the supply voltage. If it is not equal to the supply voltage this indicates there is more series resistance somewhere! In this example I think it is the inductor.

Likes SataSata and jim hardy
lychette said:
If the inductor has significant resistance this will not be accurate?
At resonance the current is max in a series circuit and a good way to detect this is to measure the voltage across the series resistance. At resonance this should equal the supply voltage. If it is not equal to the supply voltage this indicates there is more series resistance somewhere! In this example I think it is the inductor.

What you say is quite correct.
He can easily measure the resistance of his inductor with an ohm-meter
The capacitor also has some internal resistance. That is more difficult to measure.

What is important is to get him to take some more measurements, thinking about their meaning as he goes along.

Why i suggested two meters is it should drive home for him that the circuit shifts from inductive to capacitive around resonance.

lychette said:
At resonance this should equal the supply voltage. If it is not equal to the supply voltage this indicates there is more series resistance somewhere! In this example I think it is the inductor.
That's a really good observation !

Likes SataSata
Thank you everybody for the help. It turns out the inductor indeed has a resistance of 20+ ohms and is consistent with the measured voltage across the resistor. Again, thank you very much.

Related to Measuring Voltage across Resistor in Series RLC Circuit

1. What is a series RLC circuit?

In a series RLC (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) circuit, the components are arranged in a series connection, meaning the current flows through each component in sequence. This type of circuit is used to analyze the behavior and characteristics of electrical circuits.

2. How is voltage measured across a resistor in a series RLC circuit?

To measure voltage across a resistor in a series RLC circuit, a voltmeter is connected in parallel with the resistor. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in the circuit, which is the voltage across the resistor.

3. Why is measuring voltage across a resistor important in a series RLC circuit?

Measuring voltage across a resistor allows us to determine the amount of voltage drop that occurs across the resistor, which is important for analyzing the overall behavior of the circuit. It also helps to determine the amount of current flowing through the resistor using Ohm's law.

4. What is the purpose of a resistor in a series RLC circuit?

A resistor in a series RLC circuit serves to limit the flow of current in the circuit. It also helps to control the amount of voltage drop across the circuit by dissipating energy in the form of heat. Resistors are used to regulate the flow of electricity and protect other components in the circuit from damage.

5. How does the value of the resistor affect the voltage measurement in a series RLC circuit?

The value of the resistor affects the voltage measurement in a series RLC circuit by determining the amount of voltage drop that occurs across the resistor. A higher value resistor will have a larger voltage drop, while a lower value resistor will have a smaller voltage drop. This relationship follows Ohm's law, where voltage is directly proportional to resistance.