Measuring the current in an electrosurgical unit

In summary, the person is looking for a clamp-on probe that they can connect to a computer to measure the current being generated by an electrosurgical unit. They have been unsuccessful in finding a suitable device and are hoping someone can help them.
nateg
I have been trying to find an ammeter that can perform a specific task and failing miserably. I would appreciate any help I can get. and as you may soon notice, I have no engineering background.
I am trying to find a non-invasive method for measuring the current generated in an electrosurgical unit (ESU) - the device that powers a bovie electrocautery device. The device changes voltage to keep power constant, depending on the amount of current passing through the a patient (resistance is constantly changing). The current that is used is in RF frequencies (350kHz-4MHz), to limit the effects on heart electrophysiology, and runs between 200-1000mA.
I need a clamp on device that can be connected to a computer to give me real time measurements of the current while the bovie is in use.
I cannot find an ammeter that will operate in RF frequencies and within those parameters.
Does anyone know of a device commercially available that can do this? Does this type of device have to be custom built?
I would appreciate any help I can get... thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a current probe. You can find plenty of them on market going up to few Mhz and several dozens of amps.

If you know of one that you think could work, I would really appreciate it. I have been trying to find one for some time and I cannot. Please let me know.

There are a variety of clamp-on probes intended for use with oscilloscopes. Of course, oscilloscopes are a natural instrument to visualize and measure in this range, but setting the ranges, zeroing, and capturing the information via labview might be a mess.

RF meters are readily available that will plug into the 50 ohm outlet of the probe. Unfortunately, these tend to have a lower range between 10 and 50 MHz.

So, as far as I've found you're either stuck with a PC controlled scope and probe or a probe with a custom RMS converter.

Sorry I couldn't cook up something easier.

- Mike

thanks for your help. i am calling these companies. I will let you guys know when i find a solution.

I am not endorsing any company. And I have not received any products yet. But, Tektronix was the only company that was able provide/sell an appropriate current probe. They were also very helpful. FYI, if anyone needs something similar.

Related to Measuring the current in an electrosurgical unit

1. What is an electrosurgical unit?

An electrosurgical unit is a medical device used in surgical procedures to cut, coagulate, and seal tissue using high-frequency electrical current.

2. Why is it important to measure the current in an electrosurgical unit?

Measuring the current in an electrosurgical unit is important to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the device. The current level must be carefully controlled to prevent tissue damage and ensure proper tissue coagulation.

3. How is the current in an electrosurgical unit measured?

The current in an electrosurgical unit is measured using a device called a current meter or ammeter. This device is connected in series with the active electrode and measures the amount of current flowing through the electrode.

4. What is the typical range of current in an electrosurgical unit?

The typical range of current in an electrosurgical unit is between 0.1 to 10 amps. This range may vary depending on the specific device and the type of procedure being performed.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when measuring the current in an electrosurgical unit?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when measuring the current in an electrosurgical unit. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear and ensuring that the device is properly grounded to prevent electrical shock.