Measuring the average speed of an object

In summary, the conversation was discussing a physics problem involving finding the average speed of a car. One person suggested using the standard formula s=d/t, but another pointed out that it may not be enough for a 3 mark question. They then discussed the idea of finding the total time and area under the graph for distance, but were unsure if it was correct. They also discussed the concept of average speed and how it differs from instantaneous speed. The conversation ended with one person mentioning that they were still learning English.
Griffy11
Hi everyone,

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6093/img009h.jpg

With the above, I really have no idea other than the standard s=d/t formula, but I doubt that has anything to do with it for a question worth 3 marks, and then looking at the two questions below, it'd make no sense.

The other idea I had was finding the total time, then the area under the graph for d, giving you s=d/t again, but using the method I just described. Then 25c would be answered by saying that finding instantaneous speed required a tangent drawn to the point etc, as opposed to the whole area under the curve.

Is the idea of finding d and t using area under the graph right, or am I way off?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. :)

dude look a) Vm=X-X0/T-T0=deltaX/deltaT so this is for the avarage speed .

I've never heard of this formula before, so it's something which we haven't covered in class yet. Hence - it can't be right.

ah i now , now it is about the uinits i wrote them in my lengauge but this formula is for the avarage speed but i don't now how to writte them in english sorry but it is the formula for avarage speed

and another thing the avarage speed u can discribe it like this if a car moves with a speed of 3 km/h at the start and 5 km/h at the end u can't put together 5 + 3 and get 8km/h then divide it by 2. 8:2=4km/h so the avarage speed now is 4 km/h so even if the car dosent achive to have this speed but it is simpel to tell that the car can end the road at this speed sorry for my english i now it is bad but it is my 4 lengauge and i am learning it now since 4 months but i see i get better

I'm aware that there is a formula for average speed (s=d/t), but something like that wouldn't cut it for a 3 mark question, especially when there's two follow-on questions after it. The question also asks how you would measure the average speed, rather than what average speed is.

Also, don't worry about your English, it's not that bad! ;)

Related to Measuring the average speed of an object

1. What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for calculating average speed is distance traveled divided by time taken. This can be written as speed = distance/time.

2. How is the average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire duration of the object's motion, while instantaneous speed only considers a specific point in time.

3. Can the average speed of an object change?

Yes, the average speed of an object can change. This can happen if the object changes its speed or direction at any point during its motion. The average speed can also be influenced by external factors such as friction or air resistance.

4. What are the units for measuring average speed?

The units for measuring average speed depend on the units used for distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, then the average speed will be in meters per second (m/s). Other common units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

5. How does the mass of an object affect its average speed?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its average speed. However, it can indirectly influence the speed due to factors such as friction and air resistance, which can be affected by the mass of the object. In general, objects with larger masses may require more energy to maintain a certain speed.