Measuring resistance using potentiometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential difference and current in a potentiometer circuit. The main points include the fact that the potential difference across each resistor changes when the resistance is varied, and the current in each case is different due to the different resistances. The book's equation, E2/E1 = iX/iR, is used to calculate the potential difference, but it is noted that the current is not the same in both cases. There is also a disagreement about whether the terminal voltage should be the same or different in both cases.
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

20150223_170426.jpg

Homework Equations

For R, current I=E/R and for X, I=E/X... both are separate cases.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Why does the balancing change?
The potential difference across each resistor is E Itself right?

I tried by assuming an arbitary internal resistance r.
but in the book, it given as:
E2/E1 = iX/iR
but how is I same in this case when resistance is varied? They have given that I is the current in potentiometer wire... but how does the that current cause potential difference across R? It should the current E/R or E/X that passes through R and X.

Likes Faris Shajahan
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was also in 12th I had exactly the same problem...(NCERT)...

Your doubt is why the current is same and not different right?
Well, I asked my teacher and she simply got angry with me!

Likes Suraj M and AdityaDev
Potential difference across balancing lengthfor case R Is ##V_1=\frac{V_0l_1}{L}##
And for X ##V_2=\frac{V_0l_2}{L}## where l1 and l2 are balancing lengths and V0 is the potential difference across entire length.
in the lower circuit, for R, ##i_1=E/R## and for X ##i_2=E/X## where E is the lower cell. So ##\frac{I_1}{I_2}=X/R##
V1/V2 = l1/l2
But ##\frac{V_1}{V_2}=\frac{I_1R}{I_2X}## if you substitute value of ratio of the currents which is equal to X/R, you get V1=V2.

The cell establishes a current through R (or X) irrespective if the balance point
have been found or not. All that the potentiometer does is it measures the potential
drop over the cell in this state, which is not e when it is balanced since the resistor
(R or X) is drawing current from it.

AdityaDev said:
Potential difference across balancing lengthfor case R Is ##V_1=\frac{V_0l_1}{L}##
And for X ##V_2=\frac{V_0l_2}{L}## where l1 and l2 are balancing lengths and V0 is the potential difference across entire length.
in the lower circuit, for R, ##i_1=E/R## and for X ##i_2=E/X## where E is the lower cell. So ##\frac{I_1}{I_2}=X/R##
V1/V2 = l1/l2
But ##\frac{V_1}{V_2}=\frac{I_1R}{I_2X}## if you substitute value of ratio of the currents which is equal to X/R, you get V1=V2.
Gosh, dude! I was fine but now you have confused me!

andrevdh said:
The cell establishes a current through R (or X) irrespective if the balance point
have been found or not. All that the potentiometer does is it measures the potential
drop over the cell in this state, which is not e when it is balanced since the resistor
(R or X) is drawing current from it.
At balance point, the the current from upper cell will not pass through the lower cell because the potential difference across that part of wire Is same as that across the resistor.
also, since internal resistance is zero, V=iR=E from kirchhoff rule in lower loop.

AdityaDev said:
At balance point, the the current from upper cell will not pass through the lower cell because the potential difference across that part of wire Is same as that across the resistor.
also, since internal resistance is zero, V=iR=E from kirchhoff rule in lower loop.
This last statement is in conflict with the text of post #1 : 58.3 cm vs 68.5 cm can't be with the same ##\epsilon## o_O

BvU said:
This last statement is in conflict with the text of post #1 : 58.3 cm vs 68.5 cm can't be with the same ##\epsilon## o_O
Why should the balancing length change?

The cell establishes a current in the resistor.
This means that its terminal voltage would not
be e due to the voltage drop over its own internal resistor.
The potentiometer sees the terminal voltage over the cell ,
which is the same voltage as that over the R or X resistor.
potentiometer and cell measurements.JPG

Attachments

• potentiometer and cell measurements.JPG
    potentiometer and cell measurements.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 691
AdityaDev said:
Why should the balancing length change?
The balancing length should change as we have a different potential difference whenever we connect different resistances.
Remember in potentiometer the secondary circuit draws no current from primary circuit when balance point is reached and so same current in each case.
But as we have different potential difference created because of resistance, we say
It's V1 (not E1) = iR for first case
and V2 = iX for second case
I think you know the rest part of solving it.

The current is not the same in the two cases.

andrevdh said:
The current is not the same in the two cases.
So you mean we have both different currents and different voltage at balance point in 2 cases?

Yes, due to the internal resistance of the cell the voltage drops
over the internal resistor will differ in the two cases and the currents
will differ due to the different resistances of R and X.

andrevdh said:
The cell establishes a current in the resistor.
This means that its terminal voltage would not
be e due to the voltage drop over its own internal resistor.
The potentiometer sees the terminal voltage over the cell ,
which is the same voltage as that over the R or X resistor.
View attachment 79536
But Aditya is saying that current is same and voltage is different over the R or X resistor according to the answer he have seen.
He also have in mind that terminal voltage should be same.
So do you agree with him?

No, the voltage differs because the current differs,
and the current differs because the resistances R and X are not the same.

andrevdh said:
No, the voltage differs because the current differs,
and the current differs because the resistances R and X are not the same.
So how that is true?
AdityaDev said:
but in the book, it given as:
E2/E1 = iX/iR
but how is I same in this case when resistance is varied? They have given that I is the current in potentiometer wire... but how does the that current cause potential difference across R? It should the current E/R or E/X that passes through R and X.

AdityaDev said:
E2/E1 = iX/iR

Maybe it should be VR/VX = lengthR/lengthX ?

That's okay what next?

Raghav Gupta said:
according to the answer he have seen.
NCERT answer? your going with that? It might be wrong !

NCERT is right in most of cases.
I think Aditya you should refer the theory in NCERT for internal resistance of a cell by potentiometer.
There you will see E = I(r+R)
V=IR
Current is same as cell is producing one magnitude of current only.
Try applying that here.

andrevdh said:
No, the voltage differs because the current and the current differs because the resistances R and X are not the same.
Voltage does not differ. If you put a voltmeter across Ror X, you will get the emf of cell.

Raghav Gupta said:
NCERT is right in most of cases.
I think Aditya you should refer the theory in NCERT for internal resistance of a cell by potentiometer.
There you will see E = I(r+R)
V=IR
Current is same as cell is producing one magnitude of current only.
Try applying that here.
I tried using internal resistance. But you will end up with too many unknowns.

AdityaDev said:
Voltage does not differ. If you put a voltmeter across Ror X, you will get the emf of cell.
You are wrong there.
We will not get emf but V= E-ir = iR

Raghav Gupta said:
You are wrong there.
We will not get emf but V= E-ir = iR
Neglect r.

But we cannot neglect r, all cells have some r. Here in question r is not given doesn't mean you will neglect r,
that's the main difference between
Voltmeter and potentiometer.
When we connect voltmeter across a cell we get V= E-ir but by potentiometer E.

Raghav Gupta said:
But we cannot neglect r, all cells have some r. Here in question r is not given doesn't mean you will neglect r,
that's the main difference between
Voltmeter and potentiometer.
When we connect voltmeter across a cell we get V= E-ir but by potentiometer E.
For the sake of board exam, let's just learn the solutions.

AdityaDev said:
For the sake of board exam, let's just learn the solutions.
But it's better if you know the concepts as it makes learning easy.
Yeah, but where there is much difficulty like in this case ( I was also confused when I first saw your thread)
It's better to learn solutions.

Wait a sec guys!
I asked my Physics Sir today and he gave me what I would call a sensible answer!

He said the circuit must be incomplete. This is because if we take the circuit shown in the figure, then as Aditya said, the balancing length would be the same (you see, the same emf is in parallel hence the voltage drop across the wire in both the cases must equal the emf)

But they say the answer must be different. Hence circuit diagram must be incomplete.
My sir says, there must be something such as a rheostat in series with the emf so as to keep the current constant in both the cases.

Right, don't you think?

Faris Shajahan said:
My sir says, there must be something such as a rheostat in series with the emf so as to keep the current constant in both the cases.

Right, don't you think?
The battery has internal resistance. They forgot to mention it

AdityaDev said:
The battery has internal resistance. They forgot to mention it
I don't think that would solve the problem. Because even then, the current in both would be different. The first current would be ##I_1=\frac{E}{R+r}## and the second, ##I_2=\frac{E}{X+r}##...

Hence there must be variable resistance whether or not there is internal resistance for the battery...the current must be kept constant.

Faris Shajahan said:
I don't think that would solve the problem. Because even then, the current in both would be different.
That is what we want. Now the potential difference across the resistors will be different.

Usually this experiment is done with the resistors connected in series to the cell, in which case the
current will be the same through both resistors.
For this particular setup I can only reduce it to two unknowns, the resistance X, and the internal resistance of the cell.
P2260007.JPG
P2260008.JPG

AdityaDev said:
That is what we want. Now the potential difference across the resistors will be different.

Yes, it will be different but still it would be impossible for us to calculate the value of ##X## as we don't have the value of ##r## given in the question.

Instead if they say there is a rheostat in series with ε in order to maintain constant current in both the cases, then we can calculate ##X## as
##X=R\frac{l_2}{l_1}##

Likes AdityaDev

Related to Measuring resistance using potentiometer

What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electrical component that can vary its resistance in a circuit. It usually has three terminals and a rotating knob or slider that can be adjusted to change the resistance value.

What is the purpose of measuring resistance using a potentiometer?

The purpose of measuring resistance using a potentiometer is to determine the amount of resistance in a circuit. This can be useful for troubleshooting, calibrating other components, or designing circuits.

How does a potentiometer measure resistance?

A potentiometer measures resistance by using a variable resistor, which changes the amount of current that can flow through it. The resistance can be adjusted by moving the knob or slider, and this change in resistance can be measured using a multimeter or other measuring device.

What are the advantages of using a potentiometer for measuring resistance?

One advantage of using a potentiometer for measuring resistance is that it allows for a wide range of resistance values to be measured with a single component. It also provides a more precise measurement compared to fixed resistors. Additionally, potentiometers are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer for measuring resistance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a potentiometer for measuring resistance. One limitation is that the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as temperature and the quality of the potentiometer. Additionally, potentiometers may not be suitable for measuring high resistance values or in circuits with high current.