Measuring Position of a Quantum Mechanical Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses how one would measure the position of a quantum mechanical particle, particularly in a 1-D box with a certain level of accuracy. The idea of dividing the box into two separate boxes is introduced, and it is noted that a wavefunction can exist in both boxes prior to any measurements being made. The question is posed about how to force the particle to collapse into one of the boxes and determine its position, and a related experiment involving manipulating wavepackets is mentioned as a potential way to do so.
chrisphd
How would one measure the position of a quantum mechanical particle?

For example, suppose I am aware that an electron lies in a 1-D box of length L. And maybe I wish to know the position of the particle in that box to a certain level of accuracy. I'm satisfied with knowing the position within a range of L/2 for example. So I decide to divide the box into two separate boxes somehow. (Note: The outer edges of the two boxes will have an infinite potential ensuring that there can be no quantum tunnelling.)

Ok, so now i separate my two boxes. One box is transported to Antarctica, and the other to Mexico. I think that quantum mechanics would suggest that a wavefunction is coexisting in both the boxes prior to any further measurements being made. Firstly, could someone please tell me if the above sentence is correct, because it seems very bizaar to me that a wavefunction of a particle can be discontinous, which would be required when the boxes are seperated.

Now my final question is, what experiment might I be able to do in order to force the electron to collapse into one of the two boxes. Or another way of posing my question is, how can I determine which box the "particle" will lie in.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly have a particle wavepacket that is peaked in macroscopically separated places. The overall wavefunction is not discontinuous; in your example where tunneling is prohibited, the wavefunction vanishes smoothly between the two boxes. I like to then use the consistent histories interpretation of quantum mechanics to understand these separated packets and other entanglement issues: http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CHS/histories.html

What experiment might I be able to do in order to force the electron to collapse into one of the two boxes. Or another way of posing my question is, how can I determine which box the "particle" will lie in.

Here's a related experiment that has been done (you could find other examples, but this is just one I remembered off-hand): http://www.aip.org/pnu/1995/split/pnu234-2.htm
It involves the sort of manipulations you're talking about:
"They find that by varying the relative phases of the laser pulses they can control whether the electron is on one side of its orbit or the other, a half micron away. Although they still possesses quantum properties, the electrons in a Rydberg wave packet state also behave in a sort of quasi-classical way like particles traveling in large elliptical orbits."

In your thought experiment, you might be able to invoke similar modifications so that you are modifying the wavepackets to make one region more unlikely than the other, perhaps even with zero amplitude in one box. Otherwise, without further modifications to your setup you can't determine which box the particle would be in without testing one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

To measure the position of a quantum mechanical particle, we need to first understand that the position of a particle in quantum mechanics is described by its wave function. This wave function gives the probability of finding the particle at a certain location. Therefore, the position of a quantum mechanical particle cannot be measured with certainty, but rather with a certain level of probability.

In the example given, dividing the box into two separate boxes would not necessarily give us a more accurate measurement of the particle's position. This is because the wave function of the particle would still exist in both boxes, and we would still have a range of possible positions within each box.

To force the electron to collapse into one of the two boxes, we would need to perform a measurement on the particle. This measurement would interact with the wave function and cause it to collapse into a specific position. The type of measurement that can be done to determine the position of a quantum mechanical particle depends on the specific system and experimental setup. Some common methods include using detectors or performing scattering experiments.

In summary, measuring the position of a quantum mechanical particle is a complex and probabilistic process that requires careful consideration of the experimental setup and understanding of the particle's wave function.

Related to Measuring Position of a Quantum Mechanical Particle

1. How is the position of a quantum mechanical particle measured?

The position of a quantum mechanical particle is measured using a device called a position detector, which can determine the position of the particle by interacting with it.

2. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to measuring the position of a quantum mechanical particle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we measure the position of a quantum mechanical particle, the less we know about its momentum and vice versa.

3. Can we measure the position of a quantum mechanical particle without affecting its state?

No, measuring the position of a quantum mechanical particle will always have an impact on its state. This is due to the fact that the act of measurement involves interacting with the particle, which can cause changes in its state.

4. How is the measurement of a quantum mechanical particle's position affected by its wave-like properties?

The wave-like properties of a quantum mechanical particle mean that its position is not a fixed point, but rather a probability distribution. This means that the position measurement will give a range of possible positions rather than a single, precise value.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring the position of a quantum mechanical particle?

Yes, there are limitations to measuring the position of a quantum mechanical particle. These include the uncertainty principle, as well as technical limitations of our measurement devices and the inherent randomness of quantum processes.