Measuring Oxygen Partial Pressure with an MFC: Flow vs. Pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement and control of oxygen partial pressure using a mass flow controller (MFC). It is suggested to use a residual gas analyzer (RGA) in combination with a partial pressure monitor to adjust the flow in real-time. The relationship between flow (sccm) and pressure (Pa) is not constant and may require additional tools for accurate control. It is advised to conduct literature research and experiments to determine the best approach for your specific application.
DivGradCurl
How is oxygen partial pressure measured? Can a mass flow controller (MFC) be used to control it? If so, what is the relationship between flow [sccm] and pressure [Pa]?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
thiago_j said:
How is oxygen partial pressure measured? Can a mass flow controller (MFC) be used to control it? If so, what is the relationship between flow [sccm] and pressure [Pa]?

Thanks!

In principle, the percentage of O2 in air can be calculated by measuring air's density. To measure the density of air, a MFC can be used.

I've read that MFC's are not the best option because of hysteresis. If you set it to a particular flow (sccm), the partial pressure is not going to be constant. In other words, a vacuum chamber with reactive gases like oxygen needs a partial pressure sensor (also known as a "residual gas analyzer" or RGA) in combination with a partial pressure monitor for that RGA (to adjust the flow in real-time and match the desired partial pressure). My idea may be an overkill, though.

Hellow Thiago
Did you manage to get the relationship you asked? Can you share with me!
Thanks

thiago_j said:

Thanks!

thiago_j said:

Thanks!

I met one doc saying 1sccm =1.69Pa;
Tell me what the case with you?

Note: this thread is almost two years old.

Hi manyoolo,

The short answer is: I would advise you to do literature research and run tests in your system to get the an accurate answer. Here is what I think:

The experiments I've done back in 2009 led me to use MFC's and no active form of partial pressure control to minimize cost. I believe you can use an RGA (along with auxiliary required tool control systems) to obtain live partial-pressure data and actively control the oxygen partial pressure, and that is something that has significance if you are working with thin films; the micro structure is dependent on the surrounding gases.

I wanted to improve a thin film sputtering process with RGA active controls and do cross-sectional TEM analysis, but instead I simply ran experiments with a cheap MFC and evaluated the thin film sheet resistance, which was the main criterion for my application. Depending on what you are doing, you may be able to get away with coarse controls.

I hope this helps.

Final note: partial pressure cannot be directly controlled by MFC; the pressure will vary in your chamber.

Related to Measuring Oxygen Partial Pressure with an MFC: Flow vs. Pressure?

1. What is oxygen partial pressure?

Oxygen partial pressure is a measure of the amount of oxygen present in a gas mixture, expressed in units of pressure. It is typically measured in units of millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. Why is oxygen partial pressure important?

Oxygen partial pressure is important because it is a critical factor in determining the availability of oxygen for biological processes, such as respiration. It is also important in various industrial and medical applications where precise oxygen levels are necessary.

3. How does oxygen partial pressure affect human health?

The human body requires a certain level of oxygen partial pressure to function properly. If the partial pressure of oxygen is too low, it can lead to hypoxia, which can cause dizziness, fatigue, and other symptoms. If the partial pressure is too high, it can lead to oxygen toxicity, which can cause seizures and other serious health issues.

4. What factors can affect oxygen partial pressure?

Oxygen partial pressure can be affected by a variety of factors, such as altitude, temperature, and the concentration of other gases in the mixture. It can also be affected by changes in atmospheric pressure, such as during scuba diving or in a hyperbaric chamber.

5. How is oxygen partial pressure measured?

Oxygen partial pressure can be measured using various instruments, such as oxygen sensors or gas analyzers. These instruments typically utilize a chemical reaction or physical property of oxygen to determine its partial pressure in a gas mixture. The measurement can then be displayed in the desired units, such as mmHg or kPa.