Measuring One-Way Speed of Light: Experiments & Ideas

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of measuring the one-way speed of light and the limitations posed by synchronization conventions. The speaker claims to have found a new method for measuring the one-way speed of light using two non-synchronized clocks and is looking for interested physicists to carry out the experiment. However, some participants in the conversation express doubt about the feasibility of this method and the potential for it to produce accurate results. They also mention the importance of maintaining consistency with the professional literature in discussing this topic.
Kanesan
Hi All,

This is my fist post here!

Recently, I came across the elusive problem of one-way speed of light which has not yet been measured in any agreeable way. So far, all the speed of light experiments have involved clock synchronization or cyclical path problem and hence provided only two-way average speed.

I have studied this as much as possible in the last two months, including most of the relevant threads here. I am well aware that there is also a convention that says we don't need to measure one-way speed of light (or even saying we can have any value we want!). But, I am only interested in measuring it as an experimental scientist and surprised that we have not done it so far. Actual data may even prove that the isotropy convention is correct within experiment limits, but that is besides the point.

I was able to find a new way to measure the one-way speed of light using two non-synchronized clocks which is quite simple but has not been attempted so far. I have worked out the mathematical and experimental details which can be carried out fairly cost effectively. I have scrutinized it for any use of cyclical or two-way paths and found none (and there is no synchronization either!).

Solving this exciting problem MAY be an important milestone for physics/science. If any of you can let me know some physicists who might be interested to carry out the experiment, that will be a great.

Thanks for any pointers.
Kanesan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's possible to measure the one way speed of light without either synchronising clocks, transporting clocks, or communicating with a central point. The first two are equivalent; the third assumes the isotropy of space time, whether you use light to communicate or not.

I rather suspect that any research group with the skills to carry out such work would also be aware of this.

What you are trying to do is simply impossible. You cannot measure the one-way speed of light independently of your synchronization convention, and with a synchronization convention you only "measure" whatever your convention assumes.

Since you have already read the previous discussions here on this topic, I doubt that there is much new that we can contribute.

Thanks Ibix for weighing in. It is not using any of what you mention as the choices: synchronising clocks, transporting clocks, or communicating with a central point. I have found a fourth way (or is it Nth?)! Just want to discuss with some groups interested in working rather than putting out in open.

Thanks DaleSpam for your inputs too. But, we can never be sure only these three possibilities can exist forever. Though, a new approach can look silly easy after it is revealed. Since I am new to this area, I do not know who may be willing to work a project in this area. The veterans here should know more people than me! If we can find a group, we will be discussing the method another day.

Kanesan said:
we can never be sure only these three possibilities can exist forever
Maybe not, but that is not the criteria for discussion on this forum. All topics on this forum must be consistent with the professional literature, which is clear that the one way speed of light depends entirely on your assumptions.

Related to Measuring One-Way Speed of Light: Experiments & Ideas

1. How is the one-way speed of light measured in experiments?

In experiments, the one-way speed of light is typically measured using a variety of tools, such as lasers, mirrors, and detectors. These tools are used to emit and detect light beams, which are then measured for their speed over a known distance. The time it takes for the light to travel this distance is then used to calculate the one-way speed of light.

2. What are some of the challenges in accurately measuring the one-way speed of light?

One of the main challenges in accurately measuring the one-way speed of light is the precision of the instruments used. Even small errors in measurement can result in significant discrepancies in the final results. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and atmospheric conditions can also affect the speed of light and must be carefully controlled for in experiments.

3. How has our understanding of the one-way speed of light evolved over time?

Our understanding of the one-way speed of light has evolved significantly over time. Initially, it was believed that the speed of light was infinite and that light traveled instantaneously. However, experiments in the 17th and 18th centuries, including those by Galileo and Ole Rømer, showed that light did indeed have a finite speed. Later, in the early 20th century, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity further advanced our understanding of the one-way speed of light and its relationship to space and time.

4. What are some alternative ideas or theories about the one-way speed of light?

One alternative idea about the one-way speed of light is the concept of variable speed of light (VSL) theories. These theories propose that the speed of light may not be constant and could vary based on factors such as the direction of travel or the density of the medium through which light is traveling. However, VSL theories have not been widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. How does the one-way speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The one-way speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental constant that is used in many scientific equations and theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. Our understanding of the one-way speed of light has also helped us to develop technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of light speed to function accurately. Additionally, studying the one-way speed of light allows us to better understand the nature of time, space, and the universe as a whole.